Coopers Community

Cascade for Bitterness

weggl

Its probably OK if you like beers with low bitterness.

Without doing proper calculations, I reckon the IBU will be around 15. Try using IanH's spreadsheet from AHB to give you a better idea.

If that is what you were after then it is fine. If I was making it I would up the quantity a little.

Bettering hop????.... no comment [rightful]

How many litres are you planning to make Warren and what AA% are the Cascade?

If 23L then 25g Cascade with AA% 7.8 will give you about 16.5 IBU. Personally I'd either do a full 60 minute boil to get 21.3 IBU or if you only want 30 min boil then I'd up the hops to 30g to get about 25.6 IBU.

I think this is the latest version, unsure as I now use brewmate but FWIW HERE IS THE LINK to ianh's spreadsheet recipe designer.

340IBU's is probably (guess) what it is in the can... there is no freakin way that the APA is 34 IBUs @ 23lt

Have a playe with the spreadsheet, it took me a while to understand the numbers I was getting but it is a good way to get a feel for IBU's

Yob

Warren, 340 IBU is the concentrated bitterness for the kit.

PB2 will correct me if I am wrong but I calculate it like this:

Kit IBU x weight / volume

Therefore, the APA in 23 litres would be:

340 x 1.7 / 23 = 25 IBU

Apparently some bitterness is lost during fermentation so it will finish a bit less than that. It gives you something to work with though.

Apparently some bitterness is lost during fermentation so it will finish a bit less than that. It gives you something to work with though.

Yes, anything from 10% to 30% of bitterness is lost during fermentation. Some colour, although relatively insignificant, is lost too.

I think this is the latest version' date=' unsure as I now use brewmate but FWIW HERE IS THE LINK to ianh's spreadsheet recipe designer.

340IBU's is probably (guess) what it is in the can... there is no freakin way that the APA is 34 IBUs @ 23lt

Have a playe with the spreadsheet, it took me a while to understand the numbers I was getting but it is a good way to get a feel for IBU's

Yob

Post no. 391 is the latest (V4.0)download for Ianh's spreadsheet. Same thread just different post... HERE it is.

cheers Bill...I havnt used that one for a while now and tend to, when doing kits and extract.. JUST HAVE AT IT but it is an excellent tool for getting to know how much of what hop at what time in the boil affects bitterness by how much... after a while you can sort of get a gut feel for it and just whack em in at what you reckon is a good thing...

take notes though of course [rightful] you dont want to (as Ive done many times now) make a corker and have no freakin idea what you did [crying] [lol] [innocent]

Yob

Thankyall

I tried the spreadsheet works well, but it does not allow for the amount of malt you use.

The IBU varies when the water volume is changed but not when the malt content is changed.

Does anybody know what the IBU I\\is for Coopers commercial Pale Ale?

The Kit calculator gives an ABV% of 4.1% for 23L, 2.5 LME,+ .5 LDME +.2 DEX

Wheras the Online Brewing Calculator for the same gives ABV% of 5.6%

Big difference[crying]

Warren

I haven't got the calculator on hand at the moment but based on the ingredients it would be closer to 5-5.5%. Not sure why it is throwing up 4.1%.

The IBU is really just a number and is not affected by the amount of malt.

You can have two beers with identical IBU's but one may seem much more bitter than the other. Using a lot of malt may leave some residual sweetness which can mask the bitterness a little. So although the IBU may indicate it is quite bitter, the bitterness is perceived to be less.

Its all about perception. Does that make sense? I think I have just confused myself [unsure]

Thankyall

I tried the spreadsheet works well, but it does not allow for the amount of malt you use.

The IBU varies when the water volume is changed but not when the malt content is changed.

Does anybody know what the IBU I\\is for Coopers commercial Pale Ale?

The Kit calculator gives an ABV% of 4.1% for 23L, 2.5 LME,+ .5 LDME +.2 DEX

Wheras the Online Brewing Calculator for the same gives ABV% of 5.6%

Big difference[crying]

Warren

Hi Warren - I get 4.5% (Bottled) when I plug in those ingreients to the spreadsheet. As for the IBUs and malt, the spreadsheet assumes you are using a wort of 1040 for your boil.

Archived