Coopers Community

Coopers Ginger Beer

Snags

Hi guys,

Put a Ginger Beer down on the 27th, and there doesn't seem to be much of a sign of fermentation happening.

Is it similar in comparison to a brew of beer? Generally I have healthy action within 12 to 24 hours of pitching the yeast, so it's got me a bit worried!

I didn't take a hydrometer sample, as it broke the other day, and apart from slight condensation on the glad wrap cover, the yeast is still from what I can tell on the surface, and still resembles a swollen milky coloured yeast on the surface.

I am meticulous with sanitising and sterilising, yeast was pitched at 25 degrees, and 21 degrees has been maintained since.

Any ideas? [pinched]

Cheers, Mick.

With most Coopers Ginger Beer fermentations: not much foaming occurs initially with quite large, sudsy looking, bubbles forming in the latter stages. These bubbles may hang around even when fermentation is complete.

I'll leave it as is for this brew, and change things next brew. It does smell gingery enough though, and I used a kg of dextrose instead of raw sugar as thats all I had, so it might turn out a bit iffy, or a bit sweet.

If it comes out anything like a Bundaberg Ginger Beer, I'll be a happy man.

Ive only made another branded one not a coopers GB( as noone around here sells it).But when mine had been sitting in the bottle for about 4 weks it had a very sweet taste similar to creaming soda but with a hint of ginger coming through afterwards. It definately wasnt the best brew Ive ever done but was great for something different after a long hot day.

Im keen to find a coopers kit but Im just not happy with having to pay almost an equal amount in freight to get it here[crying]

My 1st batch of Ginger Beer is due for bottling this Friday night, whilst I'm not the biggest fan ginger beer I was quiet pleased with the flavour of it after it had been my for 7 days. I'll be pitching my second batch on Saturday. I'm only brewing it for all the girl's blouses that I know that don't drink real beer. LOL. My dad asked me the other day who many dozen bottles of beer I thought had I answered him around the 33 dozen longnecks.

Well after posting in here the other day I decided to make another ginger brew,

Brigalow ginger beer kit,

1kg dex,

100grms fresh ginger boiled with the skin and juice of a large lemon

So far it smells insane, it had quite a low OG of 1021 but Im sure it will still turn out good.

I also put down another IPA to start building up my stocks again

[biggrin] [cool]

WOW I cant say Ive ever considered putting some chilli into it.. after its been sitting in the bottle for a month or two would it not just get very overpowering with the chilli?

I think I may try it with a couple of bottles to experiment.(Ive got no shortage of chilllis)

Archived