Coopers Community

Avoiding Funky Flavours

When are these flavours most likely to develop. I was taken by surprise last night when I put down my ESVA. Most other brews have needed hot water added to reach around 23'C, with this one I need to use some chilled water and had to pitch the yeast at 28'C (both kit yeasts). Within 12 hours the temp has dropped to 24'C and after 14 hours I've got it to 22'C.

[unsure]

So do the Funky flavours occur when yeast is pitched at 28'C or only if the ferment temperature is maintained at 28'C?

Hey Eddie,

If you are using the Cooper's kit yeast I think you're all right with those temperatures since they dropped so quickly. I have done several brews similar to your temps that have turned out just fine.[wink] I really think your brew would be better if you pitched @ 23C and brewed @ 18- 20C[rightful] .

I really think your brew would be better if you pitched @ 23C and brewed @ 18- 20C[rightful] .

Hey Chad

Thanks for the reply, its a long wait to see how it turns out[pouty]

That's the plan. A number of contributing factors derailed the plan though. Even though I am on a constant Brewing mission at the moment it was nearly 2 weeks between brews and my tap water is significantly warmer now than two weeks ago, the ground in Tassie is finally starting to warm up. Also I sparged more than last time so started hotter (but up until now I have needed to add more hot water at the 20 litre mark) and the recipe is for only 21 litres (I had to go 21.5). Anyway more lessons, I will have ice blocks on hand when I put down my Dr S's Golden Ale next.

and my tap water is significantly warmer now than two weeks ago' date=' the ground in Tassie is finally starting to warm up. Also I sparged more than last time so started hotter (but up until now I have needed to add more hot water at the 20 litre mark). Anyway more lessons, I will have ice blocks on hand when I put down my Dr S's Golden Ale next. [/quote']

With kits I have only ever used about 2L of boiling water from the jug then topped the FV to 19/20/21/23 and this has always kept me within a respectable temperature to pitch the yeast, Summer, Winter, it doesn't differ much for me.

You say you sparged more than last time.... I am wondering what you actually mean by this as there is no opportunity to sparge with kits unless you have added some grain.

You say you sparged more than last time.... I am wondering what you actually mean by this as there is no opportunity to sparge with kits unless you have added some grain.

Yep. I added 250 grams of Dark Crystal Malted Grain to this recipe.

Personally I would have only sparged with about 1-1.5L hot water for only 250g crystal and then used the result in the fermenter to disolve the sugars and goo. Wouldn't have needed to cool it or add any more hot water to the FV then [rightful]

Personally I would have only sparged with about 1-1.5L hot water for only 250g crystal and then used the result in the fermenter to disolve the sugars and goo. Wouldn't have needed to cool it or add any more hot water to the FV then [rightful]

Thanks Bill

I have only used grains twice, both times 250g. The first time I sparged only once with 1.5 litres, I placed the steeped wort to one side and used the sparged volume, made up to two litres, with some DME for my hop boil. At the end I combined to two worts.

This time I didn't have a hop boil so I sparged the grains with about 3 litres, brought to the boil, took it off the heat and combined the two worts. Yep it was too hot.

If you don't have enough chilled water on hand to add to the FV then you can sit the pot (with lid on) in a sink of cold water.

That way you can bring the temperature of the wort down before adding it to the FV.

Thanks Hairy

Next time I will have a plan, this is the first time I've struck this problem. The brew is now running at 20'C so hopefully there has been no damage from pitching at 28'C.

The funny thing is, when I got my kit and put down the first brew in September I was worried that it was fermenting at only 16 - 18'C. So i never really struck the problem of brewing in the 20s as discussed in another thread.

Hi Guys,

I opened a bottle of Sparkling Ale as per the recipe on here last night and it immediately made me think of this "funky flavours" thread.

There was a fairly strong banana flavour to it. From what I understand this is from too high ferment temps but I guess my question is will it reduce over time in the bottle or should I just get rid of it now? It has already been in the bottle for just over a month.

Banana aroma (isoamyl acetate) may manifest itself as a result of high ferment temp'. Some other factors that may contribute toward the production of this aroma are yeast type, pitching rate and high OG.

Most esters in a young beer, including banana, will dissipate over time in the bottle.

Coincidently, banana aroma can be thrown by the commercial Sparkling Ale now and then. [cool]

I wouldn't classify banana aroma as "funky" more like "interesting" [biggrin]

Yeah I probably wouldn't mind so much except that I HATE bananas! Ever since a kid in year 1 jumped on a rotten banana and it squirted all over me!

Just another reason for me to invest in an old fridge to ferment in[biggrin]

Hi guys,

I find that I also have a slight cidery flavour in my first few brews. I normally pitch yeast at 23-24 degrees and tfermentation temp has been btwn 21-23 degrees as well. Is this high enough to change the flavours at a noticable level?

Summer has just kicked in properly over here with 97% humidity and 32 degree days. The ferm temp at 7am is already 24 degrees and that will prob jump up a bit throughout the day.

I went and bought all the kegging equipment to be able to pour pints over the summer, seems I should have gone for the fridge first.

Is it even worth brewing over December and Jan if the ferm temp is sitting on 25?

It sounds like a bit of Acetaldehyde. However, that temp range you mentioned, although not optimum, would not have caused it.

Maybe you used too much Dextrose/White Sugar, what was your recipe?

A very thin beer will give a cidery taste.

Leave it longer in the bottle and it may dissipate.

Yep, I would have got the fridge first [crying]

I wouldn't brew if temps are on 25. Can you use a bath with some ice or something?

Archived