Coopers Community

Hops additions help

gadjitsteve

effing lost my post... here goes again...

Man, I hate it when that happens. If I do any large(ish) type posts now I copy it in case. Otherwise I write it in Notepad or word then copy and paste to the forum. It has happened all too many times to me previously. [pinched]

I do something similar.

I set up fake user names and post questions that I know the answers to and then respond.

All prepared and researched in advance of course. You can tell by the quality of my responses [biggrin]

I'll have to try the link provided,as I can't find software over here that takes pre-hopped cans into account. But idk about 12 IBU's. From what I'm tasting,there is a little. Just gotta get some accurate numbers to compare. But generally,longer boil equals more bittering.

Usually,20 mins or less are flavor additions.

But generally,longer boil equals more bittering.

Usually,20 mins or less are flavor additions.

This is correct. However, what I am saying is with 20 minute or less you still contribute some bittering but it is dramatically reduced the less time it is in the boil. [ninja]

This is correct. However, what I am saying is with 20 minute or less you still contribute some bittering but it is dramatically reduced the less time it is in the boil. [ninja]

Damn tootin... if you throw 100g in at 20min into brewmate and see what happens to the IBU's...

The first AG I was a part of had a 40 min addition only with 40g citra,

60-90 min boils are more to do with reducing DMS than actually NEEDING 60 min to extract bitterness...

Yob

dunno WTF this means but in the FAQ's it says something about MONO?

FAQ's Brewmate

Not sure if that will help Ya MW

Yob

Nope doesn't help but I'll give you extra points for trying....thanks mate. I gave up on being able to use brewmate years ago.

Mono! I thought that was either an infectious disease or something that isn't stereo.

Generally Not a huge fan of the Yak... dunno for me there is just something it hasnt got... that said I love messing about with NS and have had some good combinations,

Thinking of trying a NS and Centennial for the next Kit I do...

I have one in that I did yesterday that used

Partial Mash

500g JW Pale

250 Crystal 60

APA Kit

800 DME

200 WME

1/3 Packet BE1

20g Halletau @ 20

5g Perle @ 20

10g Glaaxy @ 10

10g Galaxy @ 5

will be DH with galaxy and citra @ about 15 each..

Yob

[edit] Im trying to get a new hop every 2 weeks, Next, Simcoe

[edit edit] I think he means Flame Out for the FO..

Yob, I just tasted my first beer made with Simcoe. It was only after a week in the bottle and I think this one may take a month or two to settle down.

I got a taste of mango from it. Let me know how you go because I am not sure if it was supposed to taste like that or it was just me.

Hmmm Simcoe (Mango) and Galaxy (passionfruit)[joyful] [ninja] [love]

Helooooooo taste buds, get ready for another _ucking over

christ... what if I did an amarillo, Halletau, simcoe, glalxy, citra APA... [devil][w00t]

exactly how much is too much of a good thing??

Yob

exactly how much is too much of a good thing??

I may have found out. I made a triple hopped pale ale with Simcoe, Citra & Galaxy.

I thought I would sneak a taste at week 1; more to see how carbonated it was after my 'freezing the wort' incident.

It was pretty full on but I'm sure it will mellow in a couple of months.

Next up: a dark malt and wheat malt full extract beer with citra.

well I guess if you want to age it you cant go wrong with a little too much of a good thing early on [bandit]

time will indeed mellow it... I guess it's a matter of how long or ballencing the amounts in the additions..

What was the schedule you used Hairy?

must be said too that at 1 week I wouldnt be expecting much from it by way of where it will end up after 2-3 months...

Yob

I didn't have high expectations. I don't think I've tasted any beers that were nice at one week. But I'm fairly patient and don't mind waiting for a great beer.

My hop schedule was:

40 Minutes - 10g Simcoe

20 Minutes - 10g Citra

10 Minutes - 10g Citra, 10g Simcoe & 10g Galaxy

Dry Hop - 15g Citra & 15g Galaxy

I normally stick to 20-25g when I dry hop but decided to push it a bit. It should be a fruity beer anyway.

The hop schedule was a bit of guess work but I will see how it turns out and tinker with it from there.

Archived