Coopers Community

Hops additions help

gadjitsteve

OK so I love hops, who doesn't?

THE MRS[rightful] [devil] BUT she likes that white wine vinegar stuff so what would she know right?

Anyway I got my hands on 25g of Galaxy and 25g of Nelson pellets and have plenty of LDM and Dex to go with another coopers pale ale kit.

I was thinking all 25g of Nelson and 10g of galaxy steeped for 30mins and the other 15g of galaxy dry hopped at 5 days.

My last brew my first hopped up brew was very similar but I boiled at full tilt 25g cascade/15g galaxy for 20 mins and then chucked the other 10g of galaxy in the FV loose and WOW, goodbye Kit and Kilo for me.

So should I boil or just steep the first addition?

Im looking to make this recipe base my fall back brew and learn about hops and steeping grain from here on in.

Cheers Steve

Cheers guys. Ive noticed that most people steep hops especially when doing kit beers. Is this because of the hop and bitterness of the kit already?

I boiled the galaxy and cascade for 20 mins last beer and that one is pretty full on but has mellowed down now after two weeks in the bottle and just keeps getting better.

I put this recipe into the spreadsheet and with the galaxy and nelson boiled for 5 mins the IBU works out 32.5 which is in the good range for a aussie pale ale, so ill probally give them 5.

I forgot to do the fruit salad one so im doing that on monday as well.

Cheers Steve

They don't seem to have a lot of bittering,since they're generally malty brews. Fine by me. But I also use 3lb bags of plain DME's in my ales as well.

Half the bag in about 10L of water (2.5-3 gallons). Get a mini hot break,then do hop additions of 25 minutes or less,usually 20 minutes. Unless I'm doing an American IPA. That time left in the boil are flavor additions,the last 5 or so aroma additions.

I do dry hopping for aroma,as those last 5 minute ones don't give much. Even at 25 minutes,you won't get a lot of bittering. Bittering additions are from 45 -60 minutes to get the full effect. You just have to choose how much bittering you want at the outset.

You will still add bitterness with a 20 minute boil.

I don't know what AA% your hops are but just to give you a bit of an idea, a 20 minute boil with 25g of a hop that is 7.8%AA you will add 12.97 IBUs which is actually a fair bit.

Then if you add 15g of a hop with 12%AA you will add another 11.97 IBUs. This equates to almost an additional 25 IBUs and if the boil is for 25 minutes then you are looking at almost an additional 29 IBUs.

40 IBU is on the high end of a normal scale if you know what I mean and imo. However, I still wouldn't stay it is "real" high. Most beers I find are between 25 & 40 and I personally like them in the low to mid 30s.

Sorry I have no idea what the commercial Fat Yak IBU is.

I don't have software yet,but I really don't get much bittering in 20-25 minutes. 12 IBU or so really isn't very substantial,& I don't think I'm getting that much. I'll have to try some programs online over here & see what they say. It'll be interesting to compare notes in that regard.

I don't understand, if you are boiling your hops for 20 minutes over there, what makes it any different than boiling hops for 20 minutes over here?

If you boil xAA% hops there for 20 minutes then provided the same AA% hops are used there will be no difference to the bittering here.

I haven't time at the moment to provide the link but go to AHB and do a search for Ianh spreadsheet (the kit one not the BIAB one) it is a great spreadsheet to use. However, the measurements are in metric so you may need to convert them to suit.

Also, treat NS with caution, From what I understand this hop really likes to be used by itself, Ive used it with Amarillo with some success but in small amounts..

Its good to see Galaxy getting the love... I love this hop with Citra and are my favorites ATM... they arent lasting long at all [crying]

Its good to see Galaxy getting the love... I love this hop with Citra and are my favorites ATM... they arent lasting long at all [crying]

Any winning recipes using galaxy or citra Yob? I just found a can of Pale Ale I bought about 6ths ago and promptly forgot about. I think I'll throw something simple together tomorrow and if you can do the thinking for me that would be great [biggrin]

Favorite for the Mo for the APA can is something like this

800DME

200WME (I love this addition for the creamy head it lends to the brew)

200-300 Dex (completely optional but I like em a bit dry)

200g Crystal 60

150g Carapils (or sim)

{yesterday I had run out of spec grains so sub'd a half packet of BE1 I found in the back of the cupboard and clearly this was a replacement for the Dex addition} [lol]

10-15g Citra (depending on tastes) + 5g Galaxy @ 20 min steep in coffee pot (optional run off some wort to do so.. I tend to just use water, dunno why)

5g Galaxy @ 5min

DH after high Krausen with

12 Citra (adjust to taste)

12 Galaxy (adjust to taste)

US-05

Tweak to ingredients you have on hand I guess

Ive also been messing about with Halletau as the 20 min addition with Citra making up the smaller amount and Galaxy/Citra 0 min (trying for a Mountain Goat Steam Ale sort of thing)

Da bomb [love]

[ninja] [bandit]

Muddy, I enjoy the Pale Ale, wheat malt and galaxy. The galaxy and wheat go really well together.

I have just bottled a pale ale using Simcoe, Galaxy & Citra but I'll reserve judgement until I taste it. I will post it if it is any good.

[w00t] you wont be dissapointed... the first beer I had with these was like a freaking revelation to my taste buds and my comment was along the lines of..

"Phaaark where the hell have you been all of my life[love] "

[lol]

What have you been making with them Yob (and what kind of additions?).

effing lost my post... here goes again...

Initially it was just a Citra / Galaxy Dry Hop, I had been warned not ot go too heavy on the Galaxy, so something Like 15 Cirta / 10 Galaxy (from memory - will check notes tonight for you but this sounds right to me)

This has now evolved into playing with Hallertau and Citra as a 20 min addition and then Citra / Galaxy as a 0 min addition with a further Dry Hop of Citra / Galaxy... Im trying to get something close to the Goat Steam.

There was a recipe posted on the pervious page (it was from memory so again will have to check the notes for you)

Hope this helps formulate a recipe for you.. Ive kept the Dry Hopping to about 1g/L so as to keep the Vegetal tastes out, hence the 20 min Flavour/Aroma addition to end up with a more 'rounded' Beer at the end.

The only problem Im having with these is they never get to mature fully... by the time they are 'propperly' matured theres probably less than a crate left and "glug"... Gone [crying]

Thanks Yob - I'm just looking to throw something together that'll be easy and taste good. I've been doing a lot of experimentation lately with my recipe formulation but am a bit burnt out and just want to throw something together that works. I've got my own ideas but I sometimes other people suggestions will send me in a direction that I wouldn't have gone on my own - with pleasing results.

I'm having a No-beer-vember [pinched] and have plenty of beer ageing for the silly season but a couple of extra batches never goes astray [cool]

Archived