Coopers Community

Sydney Craft Beer Bars

Otto Von Blotto

Hey guys,

This is primarily a question for the Sydneysiders on here...

Me and SWMBO are heading down to Sydney in March for the Major League Baseball opening series between the Dodgers and Dbacks at the SCG, but depending on how long we are there, and since I've somehow got her into beer as well, we were thinking of checking out some craft beer places - only problem is we don't know where any are. [lol]

If anyone has any suggestions, fire away!

Here are a few:

Harts Pub - the Rocks

The Local Taphouse - Darlinghurst

Macquarie Hotel - Wentworth Street

Spooning Goats - York St CBD

Young Henry's Brewery - Newtown

The Pumphouse - Darling Harbour

Redoak - Clarence St CBD

Australian Hotel - The Rocks

And if you head across to Manly:

4 Pines Brewery

Rubber Duckie Taphouse (formerly Murays Brewery)

And if you head out to Penrith there is:

Um .... Um.... Well nothing but you could stop at Riverside Brewery at Parramatta on the way.

I work near Harts Pub so that is my local. I will meet you for a beer if you are there on a weekday. Phil and Muddy can join us (it's only a quick flight Phil).

My local strongly supports craft beers, and has an annual craft beer fair.

It's the Willoughby Hotel located on Penshurst Street Willoughby.

http://www.willoughbyhotel.com.au/index.html

They have about 8 craft beers that they rotate through the bar, all on tap. From memory they have Fat Yak, Longboard Ale, White Rabbit, Little Creatures, and maybe some others, as well as some less mainstream Apple Ciders.

Well worth a look, and Thursdays they have 2 for 1 meals for lunch and dinner.

Happy for you to check it out with or without catching up with me and the mrs; I understand sometimes you have to be in the right mood to meet a strange person from a homebrew website at a pub, especially if your both brining your other half!

[joyful]

Thanks for those suggestions guys. [happy]

I understand sometimes you have to be in the right mood to meet a strange person from a homebrew website at a pub' date=' especially if your both brining your other half![/quote']

I'm sure a few nice ales would sort that out[lol] although I have no problems with catching up. It would be cool to put faces to the names and have a chat, and I always like to meet new people.

Anyway, we are heading to Brisbane's newest craft beer joint called Brewski tomorrow arvo for a few brews, so we will have a chat about the trip and figure out how long we will be down there. I can take leave easily enough, but not sure about the other half. I'm hoping to be there from Thurs through to Mon or Tues (the game we are going to is on the Sunday) to give us some time to check these places out. Either way, will keep you updated. [biggrin]

Alright, so the plan for this adventure now is to come down on the Thursday, game on the Sunday and then head back up either the Tuesday or Wednesday. That should give us a few days to check out a few places, sample a few beers, and whatever else we decide to do.

Funny, being a lifelong cricket fan that my first trip to the SCG is for a baseball game. [roll] [lol]

• 3 weeks later...

I guess that's the way it goes Kelsey.

I was brought up on Rugby League, but was disillusioned with the whole Super League fiasco back in the day.

Switched to Union for a while, and then just lost interest.

Low and behold, my wife grew up in an AFL family, and I went to quite a few games with her, having never been much interested before.

Nowadays we just watch sport at home; the AFL had been a real family thing, and when her Dad died of cancer we just lost the passion to get along to live games; that and parking and logistics are rarely worth it, having to lug a wheelchair around all the time.

I have to say, the thing that cricket and baseball have in common; both require the consumption of alcoholic beverages, both to make it interesting, and to help it make sense!

Yeah, life's funny quirks. Being from QLD I was brought up on League too, I have no interest in it these days and haven't for a long time but not because of Super League. I just find the game boring and the players have no idea how to tackle anymore. I am a big AFL fan though.

I can understand not going to live games in that situation too. It would be a bit of a mission I think.

[lol] I'd probably agree with that sentiment for baseball. It's not the most interesting thing to watch and when I do watch it on TV more often than not it's with a beer or 3. I was also brought up on cricket probably from an even earlier age than footy, I played for years.. so when I sit down and watch a Test, I can see why it looks boring to outsiders but because I know what's going on tactically and what not I actually find it really interesting to watch. I'd rather watch a Test than a Twenty20 game, anyone can smash a ball over a fence.. I just find that boring, and to be honest, it's just not cricket to me. Cricket is a game of tactics and mind games, mini battles between players in the midst of the main contest between the teams, not smash and bash and over in 3 hours.

Anyway, an update of sorts, both me and the missus have booked time off and had it approved for that week; I believe we are flying down on the 20th and coming back up on the 26th or something.

Archived