Coopers Community

Sanitising

RoaldV

Hey guys

Just getting ready to brew my coopers pale ale, and been sanitising the equipment with bleach (10 ml to 5L).

Apparently I'm supposed to get rid of any chlorine smell following sanitisation.

However, to "get rid of any and all smell", this has involved rinsing equipment in hot water for 15+ minutes...over and over again.... which seems excessive to me.

Am I going overboard with the rinsing? Or is bleach simply not a good option for this reason?

Cheers

Roald

G'day Roald

I thought you would have had the Pale Ale drank by now.[bandit]

For all five of my Brews so far I have been using Sodium Metabisulphite, at an extremly high (toxic) dose rate. After bottling I fill my FV with hot water to clean, then the sanitiser for an hour then fill with hot water again to rinse. This has worked every time. I am now going to a much lower dose rate of Sodium Metabisulphite, which Amanda at THBS tells me requires no rinsing. Given that I am currently bottling one brew and laying down a new brew within a 2 hour window I reckon I have a low chance of contamination. The time frame might stretch out a bit if I don't rinse aa I will need to let the FV drain longer.

It is not recommended to use Sodium Metabisulphite and is even worse for Asthma sufferers.

I really don't understand why people want to get expensive products like bleach and other chemicals when sodium percarbonate is a great product for cleaning. Then just rinse with water and a no rinse sanitiser and Robert is your Mother's brother.

Vonscott.... if you are putting brews down in such a short timeframe then you can get away with hot water rinse and spray with Starsan. No great need to soak equipment again provided everything is clean.

It is not recommended to use Sodium Metabisulphite and is even worse for Asthma sufferers.

Absolutely, being an Asthma sufferer and mixing the stuff at 1tbs per litre you could say I have conducted a practical study. All sulphur type fumes induce an attack in me. I purchased my first two lots of the stuff from the Moonah shop and mixed it as per his instructions. Then I noted on the THBS site that they recommend 1tps per 5 litres. So from now on the only time I'll be stopping outside the Moonah shop is to dine at the Cooley's Bistro. I sanitised my last set of bottles at 1 tps per litre and the fumes were much reduced.

I've got two more quick batches after this one (Fruit Salad and Little Creatures Pale Ale) then one for my Daughter's partner (he likes Toohey's extra dry) then I will do a ESVA. Then I should (I'll have to) be able to slow up while I draw down my inventory. I'm figuring about 3-4 weeks between Brews, with the odd ESVA thrown in if I like the first one. I will use the low dose Metabisulphite til then and change to a different sanitiser when my frequency increases.

(PS I didn't mind hitting the bugs hard initially, I didn't want to leave anything to chance[bandit] Yep I even tried a face mask)

Bill - 1/4 cup of bleach is inexpensive. Bleach is soooo cheap, but the problem is the whole rinsing thing.

I'll get some no-rinse sanitiser as suggested.

Bleach is inexpensive but not as cheap as sodium percarbonate. I get a cheap nappy san at 3kg for $4 and it lasts me a long time with less hassles than standard bleach and is better for the environment with ease of use to boot [joyful]

It is best to use the unperfumed napisan - The best I've found is the Coles brand for sensitive skin.

soaker.jpg

I just put a capful in my FV then fill with water and let it soak for a couple of days - you can throw other items you mat want to soak in the FV. I then let it dry until I need to use and then sanitise with a splash of iodophor solution [cool]

if FV is getting a FULL clean, hose and fresh chux cloth wipe/scrub for starters, then a Sodium Perc bath overnight, hose and fresh chux cloth wipe/scrub rinse, 2lt boiling water and shake the crap out of it for as long as my hands can stand it, turn on side and roll for a few mins, drain and then No Rinse Sanitiser (Starsan for me)

if anything gets through that lot then it will probably take over the plannet anyway and we are all screwed[lol]

I will not have sodium met or bleach anywhere near my brewery.. there is a good podcast on the brewing network where all sorts of sanitation is discussed, can be found HERE

No Rinse Sanitisers are the bomb... coz.. well.. ya dont have to rinse them[rightful]

Yob

So by sodium percarbonate you mean just regular old nappy san?

What is the sanitisation process you use?

Sodium Percarbonate is just cheap old nappy san. The cheaper it is the more sodium percarbonate appears in it. (it seems)

I soak everything in 1 cap full of Nappysan and hot/warm water over night, but sometimes up to a week pending how lazy I am, then give it a good rinse with cold water and a good spray with Starsan and she's good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased some Starsan for my routine, given I'll probably pitch my next brew 24 hours after bottling my Ale [bandit]

However, reading the back of the bottle, one might think I had just purchased plutonium. Can I clarify, the "avoid contact with skin" warning is in reference to the undiluted Starsan right? Not the 1 oz. to 20 litre solution?

Also, once I make the solution, I can re-use it right? For example, I was thinking of making a solution in a 2 litre bottle and just keep re-using until I think it's time for a change.

Roald for what it is worth I wouldn't worry about reusing it unless for some reason you have use a large quantity of which I can't imagine why you would.

As I mentioned I just spray with a spray bottle. Only need to wet the surface and leave it for 30 seconds.

Most chemicals say no skin contact. However, when diluted then there isn't any harm. Sometimes I even spray my hands if I think for some reason I am going to touch something that is going to come in contact with my product.

The metric dilution rate is 1.5ml per liter water and DON'T FEAR THE FOAM [joyful]

Just purchased some Starsan for my routine' date=' given I'll probably pitch my next brew 24 hours after bottling my Ale [bandit']

However, reading the back of the bottle, one might think I had just purchased plutonium. Can I clarify, the "avoid contact with skin" warning is in reference to the undiluted Starsan right? Not the 1 oz. to 20 litre solution?

Also, once I make the solution, I can re-use it right? For example, I was thinking of making a solution in a 2 litre bottle and just keep re-using until I think it's time for a change.

I have my star san in a 2.4 litre bottle and a 1 litre sprayer. I spray everything it saves on star san, this sprayer sits where ever i may need it, i also half fill a Pyrex jug on brew day and soak my hop/grain bags and caps in it, after use i pour whats left back into the bottle. I have diluted starsan on my hands all the time and i have no ill effect.

Just finished pitching yeast and my starsan sprayer is on standby

and never far away from my brews and bottles.

brew002up.jpg

Use a sprayer for as much as you can and save heaps.

The instructions on the pack say to fill the FV with 20 litres mixed with Starsan. There is no need to do that.

I recently made up a 5 litre batch in my FV and then transferred it to a 5 litre container. I also keep a spray bottle of the stuff.

On brew day I fill about half a cup with starsan and put my FV tap in it. I then fit the tap to FV, tip the cup of starsan in the FV and swish it around.

I also give the nooks and crannies a spray just to make sure.

You don't really use much at all.

Something i missed was i 1/2 fill a clean beer bottlee give it a shake and transfer the starsan via a funnel to the next bottle into they are all done, anything left when i am finished goes back into the star san bottle. I am going to try spraying the bottle next and see what the savings time and star san volume are if any. my taps are also soaking in the starsan in the pyrex.

About eight months ago (my first brew) a friend put sodium metabisulphate in a keg for me, a few days later when i needed to use it, i tipped out the sodium metabisulphate and to rinse it i unwittingly proceeded to put in about 4-7 liters of hot water in it (thinking that's what i should do). While i was filling it with the hot water, i was squatting down with my face over the opening of the keg.

After about 10 seconds of unwittingly inhaling the metabisulphate fumes rising up with the steam (and it doesn't really have much of an odour) i all of a sudden started to feel my chest go really tight and my breathing suddenly became a great effort like i've never felt before!

I am asthamatic, but i only have a mild form of it. I've never had an attack...yet. But i thought i was having one this day.

I had about eight puffs of ventolin a few minutes later and that helped a bit and after about twenty minutes was a lot better.

I just thought i'd high light my experience with this chemical to make others aware.[devil]

If you do get asthma DO NOT use this stuff![rightful]

I have used this stuff with cold water a couple of times after this incident and it does affect my breathing, but not as bad as using hot water.

I've since stopped using it.

Anyhow, happy brewing![biggrin] [biggrin]

The metric dilution rate is 1.5ml per liter water and DON'T FEAR THE FOAM [joyful]

When you say don't fear the foam, are you saying that there ca be some left over foam in the bottles and it doesn't matter? Or do the bottles have to be rinsed until there is no foam left?

Archived