Coopers Community

Attaching your probes to the Fermenter

Hoptimus Maximus

Has anyone got any innovative, neat and quick way to attach their STC-1000 sensor to their plastic fermentation vessel? I have seen the elastic band (from jocks)trick and have personally just used a square of polystyrene to cover the sensors ( I have 2) which is taped to the FV with masking tape. It works fine but looks crappy.

It works fine but looks crappy.

Forget the aesthetics - unless your fermenters are a feature of an ornamental garden, of course.

I would ditch the tape and make life easier with elastic - personally I have a strip of neoprene from an old wetsuit sewn into a band that easily slips on and off, and a piece of styrene

Undies straps? Mate I am a Rio Man size 92 the undie straps would not fit around a Darwin stubbie let alone my FV[biggrin] I was thinking more about the insulation in some ways as an octopus strap would be as good as the Bonds Elastic to hold it in place. Some flexible insulation material to cover the sensors is what I was looking for.

I like the Bluetak idea Tony and will give it a go.

I have this handy gadget. lng-50612_w.jpg

Digital Infrared Thermometer. I use it quite a bit on the race car, and since the Bubble Lab is next to the shop bench, I just grab it as I go by. I like it because now that its cooling down here in Land of Big Snow, the Lab has different temps at different heights, so I can put say a fresh mix on a high shelf where its cozy 26*C, put a carboy to sit on a middle shelf at 18-20*, or let Lager sit on the floor at 10*. All easy to keep and eye on, just point and shoot.

You must have Duct Tape down there, no?

You must have Duct Tape down there, no?

I am a musician i have buckets of it and we call it gaffa haha. Leaves a sticky mess behind when you take it off, unlike the Blu tac i just reuse it. I expose the probe to the FV and seal the tac around it. I will rig up another system as soon as i get my fermenting fridge setup with the temp controller using velcro and polystyrene.

I have just found and fitted the perfect solution. I snagged one of the wife's Chux 3 in 1 Bathroom Cleaner and attached it with one of my occie straps. The cleaner is like a Collingwood supporter (thick and dense) and flexible with a hard scourer side and a softer and flexible side to hold the probes nicely against the FV.

This is a winner.[love]

fermenterwithtempsensor.jpg

This is a small 13.5L AG test batch of Centennial Blonde I did yesterday with a touch more centennial than the last one I made. This is one very quaffable little beer.

I cut up an old neoprene stubbie holder and use two pieces of that against the probe. I tape it down using packaging tape.

At the moment my undie straps aren't big enough to wrap around the fat FV but I am working on it. [biggrin]

Sorry I was unable to post to this topic any earlier...

I have always used an Occie strap, polystyrene, a bit of bubble wrap and a piece of cardboard and takes buggar all time to strap to the FV.

A sponge is an idea but I think you will find it might be easily penetrated by ambient fridge temps and not giving as accurate reading of your wort. A sponge will obsorb all temps around it, not only what is on the side of the probe.

1003716.jpg

A sponge is an idea but I think you will find it might be easily penetrated by ambient fridge temps and not giving as accurate reading of your wort. A sponge will obsorb all temps around it, not only what is on the side of the probe.

Did a test Bill and it does not vary 0.1\xb0C from another one fixed with polystyrene like yours.

Get a Chux 3 in 1 Bathroom Cleaner and you will never look back believe me.

Did a test Bill and it does not vary 0.1\xb0C from another one fixed with polystyrene like yours.

Get a Chux 3 in 1 Bathroom Cleaner and you will never look back believe me.

Fair enough mate, if it works for you then you should be fine. However, I don't see how it would be any easier than what I do now. So I probably won't change my practice. If anything it would be harder because my probe is embedded in the polystyrene and wrapped with bubble wrap therefore making it one unit. I only fix the strap to the FV then slide down the probe between the cardboard and FV to fit. [innocent]

Here's how I attach mine. The fermenter ain't real flash but it works. Don't give me a hard time over the temp, I just pitched the yeast, it will drop over the next few hours.[love]

ferment.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Anybody looking for cheap fermenters from Bunnings, this is what you are looking for.

They are about $20-23, you will find them near the gardening section, not the jerry can section.

You will need to buy the taps, they are at Bunnings around $2 each.[biggrin]

You will need to calibrate them, that's no big deal because I had to re-calibrate my Coopers because the markings on the old style Coopers were wrong.[pinched]

Warren

lid.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hey Maximus' date=' what's with the "Air Lock"?[/quote']

I have never had an issue with a screw on top or an airlock. I prefer the lid and the airlock is just there to fill a hole and remind me to take an SG reading ocassionally. Not sure how you aerate but I have never used an air-stone or o2 and just shake the daylights out of the FV for a few minutes. I find having a lid on makes shaking easier.

I am seriously considering biting the bullet and buying a 1 litre bottle of 02 and a Williams Brewing kit for oxygenation.

Nah, Maximus, I just fill mine up with a hose

Warren

In life and in brewing despite what some might say the most important thing is oxygen.

I believe Oxygen is only important in a brew prior to pitching at the right temps.

I believe Oxygen is only important in a brew prior to pitching at the right temps.

I believe the importance of oxygen throughout the whole brewing process is often overlooked. Either too much or not enough at any particular stage of the process both before and after pitching yeast can have a profound effect on the product.

I suspect many brewers do not pay sufficient attention to oxygenating their wort prior to pitching and all my readings tend to indicate I could do better in that area. Hence I am thinking of getting a bottle of 02 (from Reece Plumbing) and having a go at increasing the ppm of o2 in the wort prior to pitching.

Archived