Coopers Community

Attaching your probes to the Fermenter

Hoptimus Maximus

I believe Oxygen is only important in a brew prior to pitching at the right temps.

I believe the importance of oxygen throughout the whole brewing process is often overlooked. Either too much or not enough at any particular stage of the process both before and after pitching yeast can have a profound effect on the product.

I suspect many brewers do not pay sufficient attention to oxygenating their wort prior to pitching and all my readings tend to indicate I could do better in that area. Hence I am thinking of getting a bottle of 02 (from Reece Plumbing) and having a go at increasing the ppm of o2 in the wort prior to pitching.

I have done mine the same way for 20years.

The water loses oxygen through heating and boiling, to replace it all thats required is fill a bucket from your kitchen tap, it should have one of those little filters on the end it that makes it all bubbly, this is an aerator, common on 99.9% of kitchen taps. Tipping my bucket into the FV aerates the water again, i do this probably 3 times with varying quantities of cold aerated tap water, hence i have never had a problem with an aerated FV.

Simple and doesn't cost anything.

[cool]

I think mine have enough' date=' did one yesterday and it was up and running in 3 hours.[/quote']

Looks like you have no problem with air or your airlock.[biggrin]

I suspect much of what we read from the US about problems associated with lack of aeration of the wort is in someway due to the use of carboys and bottles over there. They seem to be paranoid about filling them to near capacity with little headroom. Hence when they shake to aerate there is little air and less movement than what we get when shaking the guts out of a 2/3 full fermenter.

My daughter is heading off to the US again shortly and I might get her to pick up one of the Williams Brewing aeration kits for me for Xmas. I just love toys and this is an excuse to try one.

Tried one of those while in California this year. Not bad but not much to remember it by either. It certainly did not qualify to wear a Hoptimus Maximus label

In truth, I have always considered labels to be bit of a waste of time. You root around printing and cutting them, sticking them to a bottle and then drinking the bloody thing in a couple of weeks. You then have to clean the suckers off and start the same process again.

I have a little permanent marker and just mark the top DG or PA etc.

You need to shrink your picture Warren it is too big and makes us scroll too much. My daughter just looked at the photo and wants your phone number.

You need to shrink your picture Warren it is too big and makes us scroll too much. My daughter just looked at the photo and wants your phone number.

lol if that's the man himself, I reckon it was taken 20-30 years ago. [rightful]

Archived