Coopers Community

Coopers Heritage Lager

Freestyler

Hey guys,

I'm new to Home brewing and to the forum on the coopers site. So firstly I'd like to say hi to everyone out there and I'm looking forward to getting involved in here.

I've just bottled my first brew, the kit lager and just followed the directions without any additions or adjustments and everything went smoothly enough.

I usually drink lagers down here in South Africa and would like to make a good lager next although I cant get fermenting temperature under 20-21 degrees. Is it possible to brew a lager from 21 degrees upwards?

Also are there any suggestions in changing the recipe up, I've been told using the brew enhancer adds a 'horlicks' flavour to the beer and some have suggested using only Dextrose or possible other substitutes.

Being new to home brewing I will need to keep this as simple as possible, no racking, secondary fermenting etc. At least for now!

Any advice would be great for my second batch!

Thanks guys,

Welcome aboard Damien!

Glad everything went well with your first batch; you're probably hooked on this hobby now.

Unfortunately, to brew a "proper" lager you will need to use a lager yeast. And that means fermenting at low temperatures ie. 10-13 degrees.

However, you can still make ales that have a lager feel to them (sort of).

Perhaps a cream ale or a kolsch. Something with extra light malt, a clean, neutral yeast like US-05 and moderately hopped. Maybe throw in some rice malt.

You could use the Heritage lager kit, a can of extra light liquid malt (pilsener malt), US-05 yeast and ferment it at 16-18 degrees if you can.

If you do a search on the site you will find various ways people maintain lower temps eg. fridge with temp controller, tub of water and ice etc.

If you do get yourself a fridge and controller then you can brew whatever you want all year round.

Good luck with it.

Welcome Damien

Yes I really recommend getting an old fridge and a temp controller. It will be the best thing you will ever do for your brewing. (well... apart from drinking it of course [innocent] )

Wheeling my new/old fridge that was given to me into the shed on Monday, then a controller and away we go, cant wait to get my brews into a more controlled environment.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

I didn't think I would really be able to get the lager going, thanks for confirming. I was also looking at the pilsener but that also needs a cooler temperature.

I'll need to be on the lookout for a fridge, its the right thing to do to get the best results it seems. Summer is on its way and with the humidity here I doubt I'll be able to get that temp under 24-25 over the next few months.

Thanks again for the help, I'll search the site for some more tips.

In the meantime, any pearls of wisdom that took you a while to work out but revolutionised your brewing would be greatly appreciated [biggrin] .

I just wish I had thought of this three months ago to be ready for the World Cup!!

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

I didn't think I would really be able to get the lager going, thanks for confirming. I was also looking at the pilsener but that also needs a cooler temperature.

I'll need to be on the lookout for a fridge, its the right thing to do to get the best results it seems. Summer is on its way and with the humidity here I doubt I'll be able to get that temp under 24-25 over the next few months.

Thanks again for the help, I'll search the site for some more tips.

In the meantime, any pearls of wisdom that took you a while to work out but revolutionised your brewing would be greatly appreciated [biggrin] .

I just wish I had thought of this three months ago to be ready for the World Cup!!

I've heard putting your fermenter in a container with some cold water/ice is a good way to keep it cool in summer if you don't have a fridge.

Thanks guys,

So I need to decide between smelly kids for a week or my lager on the go? Seems like a no-brainer to me! [biggrin]

But I assume that there is no risk of the brew being compromised by the tap being submerged in the water for a few consecutive days?

Personally' date=' I'd be concerned with potential contamination from having the tap submerged but I guess if there is nothing leaking out nothing will leak in. I'd sanitise it thoroughly before bottling [rightful']

Yes it is a concern with the infection issue but as I said in an earlier post I have never had a problem with using this very successful way of keeping the temperature down(touch wood). I've been using this method for about 6-7 years, 4-5 months of the year,ale or lagers and I can say I have never had an issue with the tap. I do twist the tap upright and pour boiling water over it...about half a kettle full just to make sure all is good.[happy]

And I would just wash the kids with a hose out the back.

Hmmm, seems too much work. Maybe a blind eye will cut it just this once. Or morning surfs every day this week!

About the tap getting infected though, which was my main concern, how about something like taking cling wrap and taping it all around the tap with some masking tape or duct tape or something? Or will the glue dissolve and make it worse.... or am I just being overly paranoid?

About the tap getting infected though' date=' which was my main concern, how about something like taking cling wrap and taping it all around the tap with some masking tape or duct tape or something? Or will the glue dissolve and make it worse.... or am I just being overly paranoid?[/quote']

Get a carboy mate and you will not have a tap to worry about if you are putting in a water bath. Heaps of stuff like that in Zuid-Afrika. Are you in the Cape Province? With the large wine industry down the Cape there are many into wine making and containers will be easy to find.

Thanks Hoptimus,

Yep, a carboy does seem to be an easier option to at least get going. Unfortunately I'm not down in the Cape although I will be down in Franschoek at the end of the year for a while. Might look around. Its pretty difficult to get supplies in Durban. Doesnt seem to be much of a market for it.

Archived