Coopers Community

First attempt = fail?

RoaldV

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After i took an OG of 1.060 i was expecting some movement at the station. I clipped the lid overnight but it didnt go that hard.

I like these DIY fermenters alot, but have a love hate with the tap and its limited intermittent leaking. Nothing too bad but they shouldn't at all.

Tony, the tap realy shouldn't leak. The one I have at home has been going strong for about 12mths with no issues. [cool] I lubricate it, prior to each brew, by applying a drop of olive oil to the inside of the tap body.

We recommend olive oil because our tests show that it doesn't reduce head retention. Any food safe lubricant is also suitable.

Can you describe under what circumstances it leaks?

Paul, mine has the same issues since I have had it. Basically if I am not careful when opening the tap it will leak from where the whole tap enters the FV. I have learned that if I am gentle and keep the FV wall from "flexing" when I turn the tap then I don't have the problem. However, if I just open the tap as you would normally then this seems to break the seal where I said.

I assume Tony has the same issues by the sounds of it.

Tony' date=' the tap realy shouldn't leak. The one I have at home has been going strong for about 12mths with no issues. [cool'] I lubricate it, prior to each brew, by applying a drop of olive oil to the inside of the tap body.

We recommend olive oil because our tests show that it doesn't reduce head retention. Any food safe lubricant is also suitable.

Can you describe under what circumstances it leaks?

The leaks occured after taking my 1st sample even though fully closed the tap continued drip for awhile and no it wasnt left overs in the tap it actually had a drip. Next time i took a sample 5 days later it did the same but not as much as the 1st time but began to leak around the body of the tap against the fermenter. I pushed a bit harder against the fermenter and it seemed to stop it so all was good.

2nd batch put the tap back in after santising and made sure it was secure and as soon as it got some pressure against it with the mix a leak began again from the tap itself and around the body again minor but enough to make you take notice. Aster taking a small amount to discard and returning to the FV i noticed the tap had its old leak back, i took the sample closed of the tap and it hasn't leaked since.

As soon as you mentioned the olive oil i thought to myself this probably would be the solution as i had forgot to lubricate the rubber in the tap, which may cause a slight break down in the seal.

As soon as i do my next batch i will do the rubber in a bit of olive oil and see how it goes.

Pity you dont sell the FV without the kit, i would grab another one, but i dont need all the extras.

Wait.... what??? Who's been pooping in their brew??? What a waste. [annoyed]

So anyway, it's been 24 hours and I figure it's time to ask you knowledgeable folk another stupid question.

For the second fermentation, can I increase the alcoholic content by putting a little extra sugar in each bottle? And if so, will that mess with the taste a great deal?

I wouldn't worry about the taste, I would be more concerned about bottle bombs.

Secondary bottle fermentation is used to carbonate the beer and a small amount of alcohol is a by-product of this.

Bottle priming shouldn't be used to increase alcohol because you may over-carb the bottles which may result in bottle bombs.[rightful]

Increasing alcohol should be done during primary fermentation.

Also, you should base your bottle priming on the style of beer you have made. For example, a stout or ESB would (should) be less carbonated than a lager.

Yep as stated extra sugar at bottling (over than what is reduired for safe carbonation)ia a recipe for disaster, mess and potential injury from exploding bottles.

You need to decide what degree of alcohol you want at the first stage - before fermentation. Don't overdo the simple sugars though as they will turn out a pretty average beer if used in excess [sick]

I agree with Muddy. It is definitely worth planning your recipe before you start. Work out what you want to achieve as the end product and go from there.

Feel free to post your recipe on the forum if you want some input.

We all have opinions on here [lol]

Ok, I'll get the opinion of you folk for the next brew I make.

The reason why I want to bring up the alcoholic content a little bit is because my impression is that the Coopers standard lager recipe will give you a beer at around 4%, whereas I'm aiming for 5.0 - 5.5%.

So not a lot more, just a bit.

As a side, my wife keeps telling me to slow down, and take it one step at a time (something about seeing how this brew turns out before planning the next one), and I keep ignoring her [bandit]

Heh, yes absolutely - happy wife, happy life. [innocent]

I expect to see her happiness significantly increase when she realises how much the "beer bill" goes down. Overheads excluded (e.g. kit and bottles), I think I calculated home brewed longnecks to cost around 60c each in the end.

Day 6: SG = 1.002.

Checked several times by re-floating the hydrometer, and it kept coming in at 1.002. Tastes all right too!

I'm guessing it's done, but will confirm tomorrow :D

If this is the FG, by my calculations my brew should come in almost perfectly at 4.6%.

Ahhh yes, I forgot about that.

Just tested then, and hydrometer is showing .990 at 20 degrees.

So, assuming that it is consistent with the beer, that would give a revised SG of 1.012.

But that also means the OG was more than 1.035.

Archived