Coopers Community

Too many to keep straight

Canadian Eh!L

Hey Folks,

This ones for the guys that have a few hundred bottles in the cellar.

How do you identify the beer you're drinking?

I have over twenty different batchs of beer to choose from in the cold room. I use coloured stickers with the date bottled on the bottle tops. I have always labeled 1/3 of the bottles in a batch but these days i'm finding that this is not enough. I really should label every bottle since I give lots to friends or I move bottles for the cold room to the frig, etc., etc.

Anyways, I'm just interested what others do for labeling.[bandit]

Chad

I don't have a few hundred bottles in the cellar. But I will answer anyway even though I wasn't invited.[crying]

I use a white round sticker on the lid of every bottle.

Although I haven't labelled my last batch yet so I had better get around to doing it.

I put one of these through the handle of the keg

DTA1206.jpg

Oh you are talking about bottles!!! [bandit] on the few extras I occasionally get I just use an old disk lable, like in the pic below, cut into 3 and write the date, brew and ABV on it then stick it to the side. Can lable 3 bottles with one lable this way. I have done heaps of brews now but only up to around 24 bottles left.

stock-vector-illustration-of-a-floppy-disk-with-a-blank-label-53124037.jpg

I store all mine in milk crates and then simply label the crate with a piece of paper.. too easy

Yob

[EDIT] I usually only keep 3 or 4 in the fridge at a time so is easy enough to keep a track of, also easy enough to write the number on the lid with a permanent marker...

I keep mine in the original PET boxes but eventually the boxes get damaged and I put any remaining bottles together with other batches. So sometimes I have to drink my way through 2 or 3 bottles before I find the one I want. Now I understand what you mean by "too many to keep straight". I could come up with a better system, but this works...

I have a whiteboard setup in my brewery which contains an ID, date it was bottled and whats in the bottle.

I then put a little circle sticker on the bottle and write the ID on it. My IDs are simply just 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 etc and then I just resue the numbers as I get to the end.

I write on the tops with a silver pen, such as PA, GA etc I keep a list, the list will tell me that PA is Pale Ale GA, Golden ale. These are kept in batches.

When these tops come up for re bottling and when the tops are on the bottles, I dab the letters with a brush dipped in turps. After a few minutes the letters can be easily wiped off.[love]

Warren

I just write on the top of my crown seal with a permanent market with a simple code like Warren does and add a number for which batch - eg. If it is my 5th batch of Golden Ale I'll mark it as GA5.

For PETs or for anything that I'll be reusing the lid from I use a little sticker dot with the same code system mentioned above.

It seems like most brewers have made the move to pet bottles these days. We are still behind the times with a collection of 750 ml "longnecks" and 375ml "stubbies" we have accumuated over the years.

Our local bottleshop has been kind in keeping their empty cartons for us to reuse.

Old Cooper's pickaxe are a good fit in the new Cooper's

cartons. Boag's & CUB bottles are very similar dimensions and fit in either company's cardboard packaging nicely.

We simply label the contents of the carton with a black marker.

Cartons also make stacking and transporting a lot easier as well as providing a barrier to light and some insulative benefits.

I was making labels for each bottle with the bottled date etc on it but now with my collection growing Im going to just be marking the top of each bottle with a code of some sort, and save labeling bottles for the ones I give to family etc

I've probably got far fewer bottles to keep track of than most here, so I'm able to keep the bottles from the same batch in the same carton.

I use 355ml longnecks almost exclusively, so it's not out of hand at all. One post-it note on the crate and it's done.

A local brew-on-premise shop has a pretty good system, they just keep a numbered list of their standard recipes handy and just mark the bottlecap with the recipe number.

Archived