Coopers Community

Fourex question

Nick

i very rarely drink fourex as i dont really like, but when i have drank it in the past, i end up with terrible heartburn and a lot of my mates say the same thing. Toohey and VB are fine if i have the misfortune to have no other choice. Can anyone shed some light on this? could it be a certain variety of hop that causes it. If so, i'll avoid it when making my own beers.

Nick

I can't help either Nick. I would have thought that the beers you mentioned would be very similar in grain bill, hopping, fermentation etc.

Close enough that it is surprising that one causes a problem and the others don't.

I think it is just one more reason to avoid it.

• 2 weeks later...

CP have always used the the American Cluster variety in XXXX, but I understand their hop is grown in Tasmania, and is a bit smoother than the original cultivar. DM sell a cheap import called Tun (red can) that uses US Cluster. Try a can of that.

CP experimented with their recipes in the late 70s, to counter the intrusion of Brisbane Bitter. Some fatalities were reported!

Cluster is really rough for the first week or two. CP have been known, in the past, to ship XXXX while still green.

Archived