Coopers Community

Oxidation

Biermoasta

Here is a link to the oxidation page at Home Brewing Wiki.

Link

It states the oxygen is reacting to compounds in the wort. What those compounds are it doesn't say.

Sorry, I didn't really help much did I?[crying]

Thanks for the link. I was just wondering whether you have to be careful of oxidation in other brewed drinks (cider, ginger beer) or if it was due to oxygen acting specifically with some thing in beer (for example if it was something from the hops).

• 1 year later...

I racked my beer today using the pipe attached to the tap method. I noticed some bubbles in my secondary, not a lot, but enough to scare the bejeepers out of me! I added some finings afterwards. Is there any cause for worries? Should I bottle immediately or can I wait the recommended 48hours for the finings to do there job? And I am pretty sure that there was no bubbles when I transferred my previous brew, so why bubbles now and how do i stop it from happening again? At the moment i don't have money for a racking cane, so i will have to stick to using the tap of my primary as a tool for racking.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you wern't splashing you should be fine.

If your transfering from fermenter to fermenter and both have taps then attach the tubing to both taps and transfer, this will minimise splashing.

Archived