Coopers Community

Brand New To Brew

ThomasS9

Hi All, [biggrin]

My name is Tom, I'm brand new to brewing beer (just picked up a Coopers Kit last weekend) and wanted to say hello!

I have one question though. My first brew has been in the FV for 2 days now and is going well. OG of 1038 and constant temp of 22-24degrees.

When I put the yeast in, it was sitting on the thin layer of foam on the top. Earlier today, some of the yeast was still on the top, so I stirred it in. I have now read that adding oxygen to the brew during fermentation is bad.

Have I possibly ruined the brew?

Cheers,

Tom

Firstly, welcome Tom!

I would have just left it as it is. The yeast would eventually settle through the wort.

I would be more concerned with infecting the brew by opening the lid and stirring with a spoon. But if your sanitation is good then there probably isn't a drama.

As for oxygenation, I'm no expert but someone here should be able to answer it. I'd say it is really only a problem if you did it after fermentation had finished, not at the start.

Thanks Hairy!

Yeah, I was thinking I should have just let it be... what will be the best way to check its not affected without waiting for weeks? Check the SG has gone down after a few more days? I took a small sample today (day 2) and it was very frothy/bubbly, so im sure fermentation is occuring.

Thanks for your help mate :)

Tom

G'day Tom, welcome to the forum.

I've only been brewing since September so I'm far from an expert.

Something I've learnt on here about infections is if it smells like beer & tastes like beer it's probably beer & should be good to drink. Infections have a variety of smells & tastes & from what the fellow brewers say you will know when you have got one [sick]

You sound like a lot of first time brewers, worrying about the progress of your first brew (me included[cool] ). Another thing I have learnt on here is relax & be patient.

Leave it for a week & take another sample to test with your hydrometer.

Good luck & don't be afraid to ask questions on here, there is a wealth of knowledge around. (The search function at the bottom of the screen is also very useful)

Thanks for that Greg! Ive already witnessed the emmense ammount of support and knowledge on here. Its looking like beer (and I must admit, I had a sip of todays sample) so far so I'll leave it be for the time being. Just in case though, I went and stocked up on a can of Aussie Pale Ale and BE1. Heres hoping it works out :)

Tom

Aerating should be done once before the yeast or once the yeast is is added if you wish to experiment, read this article below.. I never done it. I just prefer to pitch yeast, close the lid and don't open for any reason for 2 weeks except to dry hop.. That has been my routine and works great for me. I can only find time on weekends to brew and bottle so 2 weeks is the best timeframe for me. In Winter with big malt brew I will even wait 3 weeks.

http://www.absolutehomebrew.com.au/?page_id=54

Welcome Tom,

Just watch out for Muddy Waters in this forum. He really knows how to hijack your threads. In saying that I spose he is pretty good at answering questions [biggrin]

As for wrecking your beer, it is pretty hard to do. I have stirred extra yeast in during fermentation, as long as you dont rapidly do it not much oxygen is introduced to the wort. There is no need.

Also try and keep your temps around the 20C mark (if it is too hot it causes off flavours and if its to cold it doesnt ferment).

Hi Tom - Welcome [cool]

It has all been covered by now but yeah, you really did not need to stir the wort (I hope the spoon was sanitised [rightful] ). The yeast will get to work on it's own. Should be right though.

To be sure fermentation is underway keep an eye out for condensation on the lid (I assume you have the new DIY kit so I wont suggest you ignore the airlock [innocent] as they don't have one - so you are already one step ahead). Also, look out for foam on top of the wort and sediment build up on the bottom of the fermentor. You may have some or all of these things - and remember not every fermentation acts or looks the same.

Always remember patience is one of the most important rules of brewing (it gets easier). Don't rush your beer and always taste (or drink all of [biggrin] ) your hydro samples to get an idea of how your beer is progressing.

There ya go Matty - I've stayed on subject [sideways]

Hi Tom and welcome

It has all been said so I have not much to add. Nevertheless, there is no need to worry a great deal if you remove the lid during fermentation as it is the Co2 layer that protects the beer from Oxygen. When the lid is replaced then another layer will form provided it is still fermenting. Just don't remove the lid until you need to after fermentation has ceased.

A gentle stir is fine,a vigorous one is not. If the spoon was sanitized,you'll be fine,as has been noted. Just leave it be next time,it'll take care of itself. But,as for me personally,If I add the yeast dry,I give it a light stir to mix it in/wet it so it starts reproducing a bit faster.

It does this before it gets significant numbers for you to see it fermenting.

Thomas, I didn't mean to freak you out about the infection comment. I was just rambling. As long as it is sanitised it should be good.

The best thing to do is just relax. Generally, if you leave it for 2 weeks it does its thing and works out fine.

Take a few hydrometer readings along the way to make sure it is moving along (and also put your mind at rest).

It takes a fair bit of effort to stuff up your brew so relax and enjoy the process.[cool]

Thanks for all the info guys! I just got back from Batemans Bay and did a SG test. Now sitting at arround 1020/1025 so definetely moving along. Temps at 18/20degrees. Drank the test, tasted and looked like uncarbonated beer. Will let you all know the results after FG.

Cheers,

Tom

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

So, as Matty said, I left the beer another week and bottled it with an FG of 1010. Have been drinking since then week to week and I must say, some of the nicest beer I have had. I only drink maybe 2-3 longies a week and it gets nicer every time.

Going to leave a bottle for a few months and try then. Ill post some pics and hopefully a utube vid soon.

Cheers and Happy Brewing,

Tom

Hey ThomasS9,

Welcome to the forum...

And welcome to the addictive sport of home brewing,

Well done on the first batch, it's all downhill from here mate!

I too was very concerned with my first couple of batches. As long as you strictly clean everything within an inch of its life (3 stage rule.. Clean... Sanitise... Sterilise)... and be patient (not one of my virtues, but I'm learning) and listen to the senior posters in this forum, you will be turning out champion brews in no time!

I've been at it a couple months, and am just starting to enjoy the fruits.

All the best [biggrin]

Cheers

Wayno

Thanks Wayno!

Its seems to be going well so far. Kept within the right temps and followed the instructions to a T (after the preliminary stirring fault). The head is frothy and about 3-4 cm tall. At tastes really clean and crisp and I'm not getting the general hangover you would get from commercial processed/preservative added beers.

For next time: 1) No stirring after brewcan/sugar/water mixed. 2) Use bottled spring water instead of tap water. 3) Add some malt extract for a fuller bodied beer.

I'm not getting the general hangover you would get from commercial processed/preservative added beers.

Tom you need to drink more than 3-5 longies a week if you want a decent hangover. I am not aware of any more preservatives in commercial beer than the preservatives in your homebrew. I find I drink more of the mass produced beer whereas I savour a good homebrew like a good wine and hence drink less and have less of hungover feeling.

I'm not getting the general hangover you would get from commercial processed/preservative added beers.

Tom you need to drink more than 3-5 longies a week if you want a decent hangover. I am not aware of any more preservatives in commercial beer than the preservatives in your homebrew. I find I drink more of the mass produced beer whereas I savour a good homebrew like a good wine and hence drink less and have less of hungover feeling.

Thanks John,

I always thought that commercially bottled beer had more preservatives in it then beer from a home brew kit. When I say no hangover, I mean when drinking an equal ammount of beer to which I would normally get a hangover.

I always thought that commercially bottled beer had more preservatives in it then beer from a home brew kit.

I am unaware of any preservation techniques(discounting temperature control and sanitation) used generally by Commercial Breweries other than hops and Pasteurization. You get the hop residue in the homebrew kit can or you add hops yourself during your chosen brew process. Generally most people prefer the taste of unpasteurized beer. Some small commercial craftbeer brewers in the US sell unpasteurised bottled beer but generally it has a short recommended shelf life of around 120 days if I remember correctly.

MillersCoors sell their Millers Genuine Draft which is a bottled beer that is not pasteurized but rather cold filtered.

Archived