Coopers Community

Your worst hangover beer inspired by tc draught thread on westend

CraigsALE

So guys interested to know which beer you feel gives you the worst hangover. I made a batch using Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale Beer Kit as per the recipe with the extra malt and 500 g of dextrose as per the back and it never fails to give me a headache. Just like our favorite coopers red. maybe I should know when to stop earlier.

A beer I used to drink in southern Africa, especially Zimbabwe, called Chibuku.

Made from sorghum and maize(corn) and was thick as a very watery porridge and came in 2 litre cartons. You had to shake it before opening and was nicknamed "shake shake".

It was low in alcohol so it was often spiked with shots of "cane" - white rum!

I am glad to say that I am yet to get a hangover from any of my home brews and my neighbor, who usually gets gout when he drinks beer, has never had a problem either. He loves it [love]

Gee Chibuku sounds like mud!!

Yep, VB gives me the worst hangovers. Not sure if it was the VB or the quantity. Probably a combination of both. I'm not a fan of it so I only drink it when I don't have a choice like at weddings etc. (Please note - to drink or not is not a choice)

And Stella, whilst not hang over material, seems to hit me like a punch from Mike Tyson[devil]

The label states that it is around 5% alcohol but I reckon they left the zero off the end.

Tooheys red before it went midstrength (Popular with underagers because it was cheap) used to give me a shocking hangover!!! XXXX Gold gives me terrible reflux and i refuse to drink it even if it is free!!!!

I reckon the generic beers like VB and New give me the worst hangover. Like Hairy I only drink it if I don't have a choice (and it is free). I usually get a little pissed off first and refuse to drink it but after about half an hour my resolve wanes and I imbibe - I don't like wine so my choices are limited [pinched]

A good session on Chang Beer (Thailand) will let you know where the back of your head is for a significant length of time...

even if free I will not drink VB or Carlton Draught ever again.. (Unless Im at the Royal on Punt Road.. but even they sell CPA in the stubbie[cool])

I would rather stay sober... or better yet leave that place and find somewhere that will sell me a decent beer...

all Lion Nathan beers are also banned from my kidneys

Yob

Yah that Chang is not the nicest beer. Gets you hella pissed, but not nice!!.

Worst though, Tiger beer in Singas.. Really bad headaches!!

I have heard that they use formaldahide or something like that. Went through the brewery in Singapore, all good, but still don't like the stuff. Tastes ok though.

The worst hangover I can remember not that its a good thing to remember bad hangovers was in the late 90's in Newman drinking Emu Export cans. Those days it was 4.9% not the generic 4.5% that Lion Nathan seem to love these days. Anyhow It was a very good beer those days plenty of PofR bite but after drinking it from early afternoon till the wee hours of the morning is not so good. After afew hours sleep and 2-3 coffees later I was no better so I just went to the fridge grabed another Export and away I went ....but making sure I had an early night. No problems the next day[biggrin]

Not so much a hangover beer but Stella Artois never fails to give me a headache within 10 or so minutes of drinking it.

I get the same from Newcastle Brown Ale.

The last real hangover I had was when I overdid it with a VERY tasty boisenberry-weissen and followed it with too much essence-based cherry brandy. Once in a while I have to re-learn not to do that.

Worst hangover ever... I went to Edinburgh Scotland and did the "pub crawl". I thing I overdid it coz I never found my hostel wich was only 100 meters away. Drank "Belhaven Best" and "Tennents" all night long. Needless to say, my wife thought that our "honeymoon" was not that romantic... The next day of our "Eurotrip" was pretty rough...

VB by far is the worst for hangovers I have found, closely followed by Tooheys New. Both give you a filthy headache, but VB gives you the lot.

I have also had bad hangovers from beer I have brewed from Tooheys draught brew cans that SWMBO got cheap from work (I didnt know any better at the time and thought what the hell), though it may have been me that caused the nasties in that batch by forgetting to turn the heat belt off before going to work. It got a bit warm that day.

Other than that, homebrew is great, have not had a hangover other than that, always seem to wake up feeling ok on the home brew.

Archived