Coopers Community

Something new. . .

Snags

Having done my 6th basic brew, just with the Coopers can + fermentables, what would be a good next step for a more personalised taste without going full grain? I am still basically learning, but keen to try something new.

As mentioned earlier I like the Polish beers, Zywiec, Okocim etc.

Cheers.

There are a couple of options.

You could use the kits still and add hops for aroma and flavour or you could just go to using extracts and peronalising it that way.

The extracts work similar to the kits except they have no hops so you will definately need to add hops to make a good beer.

This link given to me by Muddy has a good extract version and a good kit version of a James Squire Golden Ale Clone

No the only ones available where I am are the normal ones and the international series. Also, I did the "Real Malty Ale" recipe as my first brew, and didn't like it. I've been mainly doing the Lager, and my second brew I did the European Lager, but it hasn't aged for 12 weeks yet, so I don't know what that's like. I wouldn't mind trying a Pilsner, as I like Urquell, but my preference is getting close to a Polish brew.

Also, I'm not sure if my Fermentation method is right. I use Glad wrap as a cover, held on with the O-ring from the lid with a pin prick in it, and I leave the Hydrometer in the brew the whole time. I like being able to see the brew. Is it more beneficial to use the lid with an air-lock?

Muddy has gone home crying since you asked the question of the lid and airlock. Alot of us only use gladwrap where my airlock props the front of my fermenter up to keep the sediment away from the tap.

as for the hydrometer I don't use it like that (I don't see why it wouldn't work if it is sanitised) but I normally fill the test tube up and then float the hydrometer in that. Doing it my way I get to taste the beer while it is fermenting which lets me see how its progressing.

That's another good idea Matt, thanks [biggrin]

Another quick question, since using the immersion heater (last two brews), I've noticed the beer once bottled and matured is under carbonated!? Could this be due to the heater affecting the yeast? I'm regretting using it now, the first brews with just the heat lamp turned out really nice, It was just time consuming constantly going out and checking temp and switching the bloody thing on and off.

Thanks for all the advice.

The problem with leaving your hydrometer (apart from the fact that it must make it difficult to read) is that you can't dislodge bubbles which stick to it and give a false reading. You also miss the knowledge gained by sampling your beer from the tube after taking a reading.

In all honesty, I don't use the hydrometer much anymore, I usually wait till the brew starts clearing and bottle 2 to 3 days after that, but I see what you mean. It can be difficult to see it when it hides on the side of the fermenter.

I guess it is possible that the immersion heater is playing around with the yeast as the heater would need to be alot hotter the 20C to get the wort at 20C, so any yeast nearby will get to hot and perhaps die.

Although in saying that I have no idea. And after you take out the sample for your hydrometer reading, either drink it or toss it and don't put it back into the fermenter.

Cool, I'll implement this next time around. Just tossing up what to try for the next brew. . . being pretty beer illiterate, but knowing what I like, makes things hard lol.

Just a question Mick - when you say you are using a heat lamp in your fridge, is it one of those with the red heating globe in it?

I used to work on a chicken farm & those lights throw a fair bit of heat.

I use an old bedside lamp with a low wattage globe in it. It is also shrouded to keep direct light off the wort.

I've been using a heat belt sitting in a ceramic wine bottle cooler but it recently stopped working so I now have a light bulb inside the wine cooler. No light escapes and it works a treat.

I've been considering getting a ceramic reptile globe to use instead but probably wont get around to it this winter.

Archived