Coopers Community

Irish Stout

Im mixing my Irish Stout today and looking for some advice on the recipe Im going to use the kit recipe:

500G Coopers Light Dry Malt

300G Dextrose

Im going to boil the kit yeast into the wort concentrate with the 2 litres of boling water, and am using a yeast I bought just for this brew http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=6

I want to use Brew Enhancer 2, but am not sure in what quantity would be acceptable. Any advice what would be the right amount?

It will still taste great but there was no need really considering BE2 already has dextrose in it.

Having too many simple sugars like dextrose can have detromental effects on your beer although thats not always the case. Being a stout I would say there is barely a chance for any negative flavours (partly because stouts are strong and I am a stout drinker)

It will still taste great but there was no need really considering BE2 already has dextrose in it.

Having too many simple sugars like dextrose can have detromental effects on your beer although thats not always the case. Being a stout I would say there is barely a chance for any negative flavours (partly because stouts are strong and I am a stout drinker)

Thanks Matty, thats what I like to hear. Maybe one day I'll learn most of this and quit asking obvious questions [biggrin]

Paul......

I also have the Irish stout, it was one of the 4 cans i orderd during your free shipping promotion.

I have a Question for you.......

If you had the Irish stout and you were making it for yourself and friends to drink, How would you make it?

Thanks if you can help.

[biggrin]

The recommended recipe produces a good result, particularly if you keg [biggrin]

The last time I made up this kit, I used only 1kg of Light Dry Malt and mixed it to a volume of 20 litres.

• 1 month later...

PB2...was wondering if the OS Stout that I brewed last night that is in the fermenter (going nuts by the way). I have the new DIY kit and the foam is about 2-3 inches from the top of the lid after pitching at around 10pm last night. The recipe I used was as follows:

1 Can Cooper OS Stout

1 Can Cooper Dark LME

500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

11g Danstar Nottingham yeast

23L water

OG 1048 at 26C

opinion on how this will turn out?

Im going to boil the kit yeast into the wort concentrate with the 2 litres of boling water, and am using a yeast I bought just for this brew http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=6

G'day Mike,

Why boil the kit yeast in the wort concentrate?

I haven't made the Irish stout yet, but have made a few OS stouts, and several Dark ales, and a recipe i have used to great success is 1kg of Dex plus 500gms of LDM. As MAtty suggests, you haven't overdone the dex. Should be a good drop.

Paul......

I also have the Irish stout, it was one of the 4 cans i orderd during your free shipping promotion.

Just a query, one of the homebrew suppliers(can't remember which one at the mo) offers free shipping on all orders over $100. Any chance Coopers might look at this? When I was over there and did the tour I was planning on buying up big and bringing it home on the plane. I was shattered when Frank told me there was no actual shop [crying]

Trusty, you boil the yeast with the wort to use as a yeast nutrient. The yeast is dead but the nutrients that are packed with it are retained.

It isn't really necessary, especially in low to standard gravity beers. There should be enough nutrients in the yeast pack that you pitch and in the wort.

Its a good way of getting rid of the yeast you don't want to use though.

Trusty, you boil the yeast with the wort to use as a yeast nutrient. The yeast is dead but the nutrients that are packed with it are retained.

It isn't really necessary, especially in low to standard gravity beers. There should be enough nutrients in the yeast pack that you pitch and in the wort.

Its a good way of getting rid of the yeast you don't want to use though.

Roger, Thanks mate.

Yeah, I had to fly to Adelaide recently and thought it would be a good oportunity to pick up some gear that is not available here and Coopers use a freight company that personally delivers your gear in a Ferrari or something...well that is what the freight bill indicates anyway. I was told the store only sells merchandise.

Big help! I'm just about over Coopers and their lack of interest in the isolated customers!

Ross,

do you not get emailed the monthly newsletters? It was advertised in the May newsletter...

I was getting newsletters, but I havent received one for the last 2 months, obviously that's why I didn't hear about it[crying]

Archived