Coopers Community

early taste test

AndrewF111

Who has been too anxious / thirsty, and opened a bottle before the 3 week fermentation period?

What did it taste like ?

1 more week to go to taste my first brew, havent opened one yet but it's crossed my mind after a hard days work and no beer to come home to.

Never did it until my brewery got wiped out in the flood, I had to start again, a very anxious (and expensive) waiting period.

Then I read the bible and saw the light, erm actualy I read the instructions (like you do whilst waiting for brews) and for some beers it says one week is good, especialy I think for the premium range.

After all, it's down to taste, and don't always trust that if the first bottle seems too young, some bottles do ferment quicker than others. [happy]

PS: Oh and I do believe that if you stick a bottle in the fridge it will slow/stop the 2nd fermentation process - so chill at the last possible moments.

I always check my beer. I taste it when I first mix it in the fermenter, then I taste it again when I am just about to bottle.

After it is bottled I taste it at 2 weeks and then a month just to see how it is coming along, after that I don't touch it until I am ready to drink it.

i'm similar to matty. i like to keep checking the beer although i don't do it when i first mix it but when it's ready to bottle i drink the hydrometer sample then at two weeks i try one and so on. grabbing one every now and again to see how they are

That's cool Andrew, a young home brew maybe goes close to beating a commercial nonesense?

Maybe there is a calculation for economy over quality lol?

I'd drink substandard home brew at the point where it is drinkable as opposed to paying $1.50 for a can of rubbish from the bottle shop?

Hmmm, my current tolerence factor is 7 days haha.

Well this is the big problem, tasting I mean. I\u2019ve brewed 33 brews, some 900 bottles since last October, not counting the 5 I\u2019ve done for mates and I only have about 300 bottles in stock. No wonder I can\u2019t get the buggers over 3 months old. They keep disappearing, how I don\u2019t know!!?

At the right temps you can drink at 2 weeks.

I'd be more inclined to say at the right temps you can sample at 2 weeks. Beers can taste good at 2 weeks but rarely great. I reckon 4 weeks is the average "sweet spot" for beers that mature young.

Some people would sample, but I start to drink. My beers never last long.

Admitting though, they do taste better the more I have and the older they get.

it an also depend on what was used in the brew. just a kit and 1kg of white sugar could have a cidery, 'homebrew' taste at 4 weeks, let alone 2.

I brewed a mild black, with the Coopers dark ale kit and 350gms of LDM and 150gms of white sugar. after 3 weeks in the bottle it is still a bit 'sharp'. time will be kind to most beers! the key is stock piling!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the patience of Job when it comes to waiting for the 3 week mark to pop some in the fridge,& wait another 5-6 days for them to be good. Sometimes,I think I should fridge'em all at the same time. My last,Summer Pale ale,was great at 3 weeks,6 days. Flavor changed with the increasing carbonation,& ruined the flavor I got at 3. Too long can be bad...

Archived