Coopers Community

Fifty Lashes Pale Ale

weggl

Had my first James Squire\u2019s Fifty Lashes Pale Ale today at the Diggers Freshwater.

It is quite a pleasant drink, I would prefer it to be a little more bitter, and I think I detected a hint of Nelson hops.

Hard to describe but I would say a little on the thin side, needs a little more mouth feel. But as I have said \u201cpleasant\u201d. [rightful]

Hairy, not sure which bit you are agreeing with, the fact that it is pleasant or that it needs more bitterness. Ironically a bloke they call "Digger" at a certain home brew shop at Maitland has brewed his interpretation so he may be of assistance. Honestly I think it needs a lot more hops and malt but thats just me.[biggrin], not Diggers but the original,

Hairy' date=' not sure which bit you are agreeing with, the fact that it is pleasant or that it needs more bitterness.[/quote']

Both! It needs a little more bitterness, more body and some more hops.

But it is still a pleasant drink, although not memorable.

The wheat malt is the only thing that carries this beer, other than that its not a beer to hunt down in the winter time, but its nice to way to start the drinking day with in the summer, but....definitely room for improvement.

• 1 year later...

I have tried a few of the JS beers. I liked the Pale Ale at first but when I bought it again it just seemed boring and inoffensive.

Their IPA was the first IPA I have tried, I could really sense the alcohol despite it being under 6%. Compared to the IPA's I tried this week (Torpedo, 10 Towers, Sleeping GIant)I would prefer any of those 3.

I tried the Porter too, but with no other Porter to compare to I am not sure. I normally don't like coffee flavours. It seemed thinner than I expected for a very dark beer. Maybe it is just the Porter style, but I prefer the balanced flavour/aroma/bitterness in the IPA's.

Oh I can't remember which one, but the Amber Ale or Golden Ale is really nice. I might have to get them and make sure :)

Archived