Coopers Community

Bringing back the original Best Extra Stout

JohnK12

I remember reading a while back that the BES was reduced down mainly due to price, from 6.8 or so to 6.3. I don't think its about price anymore; these are the current prices right now at my local Dan Murphy's for a 24 pack of stubbies and some craft and other macro stout to compare:

Pale: $45

Sparkling - $50

Stout - $52.50

Sheaf - $49

Grand Ridge Hatlifter - $67 (330ml!)

4 Pines Stout - $70 (330ml!)

So going up from the pale to stout is the cost of a longneck of stout at my local bottlemart. I don't think bringing back the original recipe would jack up the prices too high and it would still be much better value than other stouts, especially the smaller microbreweries.

Who else wants the original strength stout back?[love]

• 2 weeks later...
I have no idea about stout' date=' isn't it that black beer stuff?[/quote']

Here ya go Bill....

STOUT [stout] Show IPA adjective -er, -est, noun adjective

1. bulky in figure; heavily built; corpulent; thickset; fat: She is getting too stout for her dresses. Synonyms: big, rotund, stocky, portly, fleshy. Antonyms: thin, lean, slender, slim; skinny, scrawny.

2. bold, brave, or dauntless: a stout heart; stout fellows. Synonyms: valiant, gallant, intrepid, fearless, indomitable, courageous, stouthearted. Antonyms: cowardly, timid, fearful, timorous, craven.

3. firm; stubborn; resolute: stout resistance. Synonyms: obstinate, indomitable, steadfast, staunch, unwavering.

4. forceful; vigorous: a stout argument; a stout wind. Synonyms: intense, sharp, violent.

5. strong of body; hearty; sturdy: stout seamen. Synonyms: brawny, sinewy, strapping, husky, robust.

But, on subject, John I'm not a big stout drinker but I do like the original Coopers stout so I just make my own....I' never buy dark beers. The good thing about my home brewed stouts is, as I rarely drink them, they are usually matured in the bottle for at least a couple of years.

It changed around a decade back. I have a suspicion that the stout was thicker before the abv reduction. At the same time the special old was liquidated and production stopped. I was just saying the original version should be brought back to what it originally was, and 0.5% can make a difference.

....I' never buy dark beers. The good thing about my home brewed stouts is, as I rarely drink them, they are usually matured in the bottle for at least a couple of years.

I know what you mean Muddy. A few years back at a dinner party the host offered me some home brewed Stout. I thoroughly enjoyed it and think I may have made a pig of myself. A few weeks later at another dinner party someone brought along a six pack of Cascade Stout for me, commenting on how much I liked Stout. It wasn't as good and I couldn't drink and had to apologise profusely. I do however like Guiness on tap having tried it for the first time in November at Young and Jackson\u2019s.

Anyway in a few brews time I plan to brew a Stout, I owe a neighbour a beer after his efforts in collecting bottles for me (over 200) and he tells me he isn't a fan of home brew; the only home brew he likes is Stout. Go figure [surprised all the bottles he gave me he drank himself and they are all Cascade Draught.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well its been a few months and with the carbon tax Sparkling has increased to 51.50, only a $1 difference to the Best Extra. Its also sad to see Dan Murphy's chucking out Sheaf stout in NSW seeing as it doesn't sell. Still hoping for the return of the Best Extra![love]

The iorn in Stout is one of the main health benifits

Stout is perscribed for anemia and to ''bring on''mothers milk = encourage lactation for new mums

Once you have black you dont wana go back [lol]

The actual ingredient that helps lactation is brewers yeast. The wife just used all my old Coopers kit yeasts for her boob juice production. Any unfiltered bottle conditioned beer will work, but they shouldn't be drinking!! And they need a fair bit of yeast for it to really work.[pinched]

and I must add although the grand ridge and 4 pines are more expensive they stand head and shoulders above the others listed by a mile.

and I must add although the grand ridge and 4 pines are more expensive they stand head and shoulders above the others listed by a mile.

I disagree. Grand Ridge and 4 pines are way too weak and watery for stouts. 5% doesn't equal stout. Coopers is truer to the original stouts of the 17th century when stout meant strong and meaty.

Archived