Coopers Community

new here,, need a set up for brewing

edwardm2

hey guys, i've got a coopers lager green labeled original series, i need to know wat is a way of keeping the temp right?? im thinkingnof doing it in an esky, what is a way of keeping temp rite at home? and will an esky glad wrapped over top work??

G'day Edward. I put my fermenter in an old fridge which doesn't work. To keep the temp down to about 20 degrees I put frozen 2 litre cordial bottles in there during the day. It seems to work. At the moment I have a toucan stout in there & we have had a few 30+ degree days in the last week. I am on the lookout for a working fridge at the right price & I will set up a temp controller that I can set at the appropriate ferment temp for future brews. The esky would work as long as you can fit the fermenter in & have room for ice pack of some sort to keep it at the right temp, that is if you are in summer like I am now. (sorry didn't check your location before I started typing reply)

obviously a rigged up fridge is the best, but your esky thing can work if you play around a bit. You can also try other things like putting the fermenter in a tray of water and draping a towel over it so it wicks the water up and point a fan at it

i use a wood stove to heat the brewery. and blankets and an old motorcycle jacket around the FV and carboys to keep the temp. stead and the light out. i don't normally brew in the summer months because the brewery is to cold (no wood stove) but this summer i think i'll just brew lagers(not Largers!)[innocent]

i don't think you have my situation, though since you are using the word "eskey" and that is not in the canadian vocabulary. in fact i have no idea what an "eskey" is.[annoyed]

...an "Esky" refers to what you people call an ice box I think, it is an insulated carry case for transporting and storing anything you might want to keep cold, you put in your beers and top it up with ice and you are set. As I said, I think you refer to them as ice boxes or some boring thing like that, but really they are Eskies!

Living in Queensland, I have had some real problems keeping my brews cool\u2026 resulting in some gawdawful dusty dirt tasting swill.

I thought my brewing window would only be from June til early August until I got hold of an old (but still working) fridge

brewfridge.jpg

I have simply plugged it into a timer that comes on for half an hour every 3-4 hours

brewfridgetimer.jpg

I believe PB2 has a similar rig.

One caveat, I have found that one must still keep an eye on a brew in a fridge. As the fridge also insulates, if you aren't setting it to come with sufficient frequency, temps will naturally rise through the ferment process (as discovered with a Canadian Blonde recently which happily bubbled away at 28-30deg for about 4 days).

For the Canadians,

The first portable coolers made in this country were made about 50 years ago, there had a metal outside and inside and top.

The inner and outer skins were foam filled. They were a very sturdy and heavy unit but made a good seat. I think they were an Aussie invention, invented by the bloke who invented the first petrol powered mower, his name was Victor hence the Victor lawn mower. The name he gave the cooler was \u201cEsky\u201d, and as just about everyone owned one the name stuck. So every cooler sold in Australia regardless of the brand is still referred to as an \u201cEsky\u201d, that\u2019s it.[cool] Weggl

Mervyn Victor Richardson also invented the Victa lawn mower [tongue]

Are you he also invented Eskies?

BTW - Esky is short for "Eskimo"

Just to continue the education, an esky is known as a chully bun to by our friends over the dutch in NZ [biggrin]

I don't have time to reply to that now Muddy...but I'll have all day tomorrow to think of a few you guys use that we have a good laugh at![biggrin] (Anyway...what's up with just chucking "o" on the end of everything?)

That\u2019s what I said he invented the Victa mower that is the first mower with horizontal blades, didn\u2019t know his full name. Anyhow as to him inventing the Esky I\u2019m not sure, but somewhere way back in the back of my mind and it\u2019s hard for me to go back that far, there is a little voice telling me that he did. But as I said, \u201cnot sure\u201d.

Matto mate, you hit the nail on the head there [biggrin] ...sounds heaps better.

That\u2019s what I said he invented the Victa mower

You said the Victor mower. It may be pedantic but you're messing with an Aussie icon there [lol]...and I don't want to hear a single word about Vegemight [innocent]

Anyhow as to him inventing the Esky I\u2019m not sure' date=' but somewhere way back in the back of my mind and it\u2019s hard for me to go back that far, there is a little voice telling me that he did. But as I said, \u201cnot sure\u201d.[/quote']

According to my sources the Esky was invented by Francis Malley of Malley's Ltd. in 1884.

They are useful in many ways....

"Found at sea ... two men spent 25 days floating at sea in an esky." (smh.com.au)

eskyimagewideweb470x303.jpg

FULL STORY

what i don't get about you folks down under is the switcharoo of your "a's" and "er's". ie whistla (whistler) and canader (canada).[bandit] you guys probably don't know what i'm talking about.

i live in a ski town and the population of ozzie's is rather high.[roll]

what i don't get about you folks down under is the switcharoo of your "a's" and "er's". ie whistla (whistler) and canader (canada).[bandit] you guys probably don't know what i'm talking about.

i live in a ski town and the population of ozzie's is rather high.[roll]

Again, it makes everything sound better [lol]. I have a work collegue from the county of Canada, he gets upset when I call it Canader.

He also gets upset when I call him American too. Poor fella (another example), he is leaving us this week.

following my tour of the old goulburn brewery, i can tell you that an ESKY is a patented item used specifically in the cooling and storing of cooled beer in the breweing process in the early 1900's. I'd say the patent has lapsed or otherwise become obsolete with new technology regarding brewing (like refrigeration) due to the use of the term as the name of a company who make 'ice boxes'.

...well I'm glad that thread didn't get off topic[crying]

Edward, if you are still out there, did any of that make sense, or were we way off the mark right from the start?

Please let us know where you are located & what you are trying to achieve & hopefully in our own ways we may be able to get you going in the right direction. I am sure when you started this topic you weren't expecting a short history in Aussie icons like mowers & eskies.

Sorry Edward - We went off on a bit of a tangent there [biggrin]

Probably mentioned already but a fridge is the best temp control device I reckon. I use a temp controlled fridge which is ideal - you can just set it and forget it for a couple of weeks (ok, aside from the odd peek).

Even a broken fridge is good. Just put ice in there morning and night (frozen water in soft drink bottles or similar). Or you could use something warm (blankets, hot water bottles, heat belt on a timer etc.).

Archived