Coopers Community

brewing on the trub

Trusty1

Hi guys and gals

I have just bottled a real ale brewed with re-cultured Coopers Sparkling Ale Yeast, and want to put a toucan Pale Ale and Candian Blonde down and am thinking of whack it it straight in the fermenter on the trub from the Real Ale.

Any thoughts on this? It will have to happen soon...

Cheers

just did a quick search (the function actually works!) and found THIS discussion from last year if anyone is interested. i am pressed for time, so I'm just tossing everything into the fermentor I just emptied.

We haven't heard from Anne for while, have?

OK, sorry people, changed my mind after looking the fridge. I used a spare clean, sanitised fermentor and another recultured CSA from the fridge with the Pale Ale packet yeast (lager and ale).

Added 1.25 cups of white sugar and made it to 23L. Will brew at the coolend give the lager yeast.

Does 3 posts in a row on a topic started oneself constitute talking to oneself?

Cheers

Instead of just dumping my new brew on top of the old yeast I tend to bottle the beer until there is very little liquid (I don't tend to let much go to waste [biggrin] ). I then open a new 600ml bottle of water and tip it in the fermentor give it a swish around then refill the water bottle with the muddy yeast solution.

I then use this as you would a liquid yeast. I only use this method if I plan on making a new beer on the same day or within the next couple of days.

I sometimes go through the whole yeast cleaning process but usually can't be bothered.

I think the same as Matty and also thought I would love to know how this turns out.

And once again Muddy has given me good clues and technique [cool]

I heard breweries do this to protect their strains, and for them with consistant brews it makes all the sense in the world - however do we not have to wonder if our initial brew is good enough to warrant this?

I also wonder if the use of hops in your brew would affect the scouring of the yeast, as surely there would be traces of hops too?

Please remember I don't mind asking stupid questions [rightful]

Hey Trusty,

Just leave a centimetre of beer on the trub, sanitise 2 jars.

Swirl the fermenter & fill the first jar. Cover with foil & leave for 10 mins, pour off the cloudy liquid to the 2nd jar (cover with foil) & leave the sediment in the bottom of the 1st jar. The cloudy liquid is your next pitch of yeast! Dead easy!

Johng,

Just throwing in my two bobs worth, What Muddy said is a good way to do it, but I don\u2019t swirl and mix all the trub, I leave a very small amount of beer, the last drop that wont drain through the tap, I swirl this gently, by doing that you only mix up the soft live yeast and not all the rubbish. I usually get about 1/3 L . I feed this with some Dex and water mix, after I have let it settle and have poured off the beer that comes to the top. Give the yeast and dex-water mix a good shake in a bottle covered with Gladwrap. You will have a large starter in a few hours. This can be split in half and 1/2 put in the fridge, The other 1/2 can be used straight away or refrigerated.

I\u2019m new to this homebrew stuff and have only made 23 brews, but I find that method works best for me.

Warren

No Worries Warren im keen to try this out, if succesful then il keep a rolling yeast going. Im currently brewing a 12 litre batch on a coopers ale yeast so when thats over i'll give this process a go. Beats paying $15 for a Liquid yeast, which i used on my last brew.

I often reuse yeast but don't like to push my luck. When using a liquid yeast, rather than reuse it from the trub, I tend to culture it up and split it into about 5 stubbies which I then cap and save in the fridge for future use (I use one of them straight away of course [biggrin] ).

When using a liquid yeast' date=' rather than reuse it from the trub, I tend to culture it up and split it into about 5 stubbies which I then cap and save in the fridge for future use (I use one of them straight away of course [biggrin'] ).

Who you been talking to???[wink]

Saves me a fortune in yeast!

Johng,

Go the search box at the bottom of the page and type in culturing yeast. It will tell you how to culture the Coopers yeast that they use to brew. Once you do this and make your own beer, you can use the same process from your own home brew.

A12L BATCH? Must be prety strong!![devil]

I have cultured Coopers yeast from one Coopers longneck 7500mm bottle.

Warren

Warren

....... Mmmmmm, shouldn't that read 750ml. Maybe you spent too much time in the back of a car. [bandit]

Or maybe it is a really really big bottle 7.5 m tall would make for slot of beer. I thought my 1.5 L swing top bottles where big.

Warren

....... Mmmmmm, shouldn't that read 750ml. Maybe you spent too much time in the back of a car. [bandit]

Or maybe it is a really really big bottle 7.5 m tall would make for slot of beer. I thought my 1.5 L swing top bottles where big.

at my visit of the Old Goulburn Brewery on saturday, I bought a refillable, 3L 'Goulburn Stubby' with a swing top lid of Stout! Yeah baby!

I'll take a photo of it and try to post it.

Oh yeah, sorry, and after reading my brewing notes, I realised I have 'brewed on the trub' previously. It was when i was just getting over my back complaint and was affected by pain killers (my excuse and I'm sticking to it). I brewed an OS Coopers Lager witha TC Pils yeast with some hersbrucker and saaz hops boiled and put in the FV loose and also dry hopped. then I brewed the TC pils (my second Pils)on the trub. I used a LHBS equivalent BE2 and nothing else. I have tried a few but have not been overwhelming, except that it was nowhere near as good as the first TC pils I made, which I used a brewcraft czech pils converter (and maybe some extra dex) and was one of my best beers. I put one in the fridge last night (second pils, not the first they're all gone!) and will sample over the weekend and report back.

Wow 3L. I was impressed with the 1.5L so I bought 4 ( the rest they had) I have some stout in one and Sparkling Ale in another one. I am hoping to put some Golden Ale in my next one and then a Vintage Ale (from the recipe section) in the last one and let it sit their for a year or two

For people culturing yeast from bottles I just did this however the yeast did not like the dme I used at first to reactivate it. After three days no bubble or foam on the test. However when I was bottling a brew I took some of the priming sugar solution and added it to the yeast test flask and got results I now have yeast breeding up in my flask. Also I live in the US and I think the beer may have been sitting for a while leading to longer times to reactivate the yeast?

Warren

I just found THESE on Shebay!

Archived