Coopers Community

UNREAL ALE

weggl

Made a unreal ale today and the OG acording to my lousy hydrometer was around 60, I puled about 200 ml off first, but i think this reading a bit high.

I have one of those Big W Brigalow hydrometers that has a last reading of 40 after that you have to guess. the hydrometer was floating with the bulge that is at the bottom of the stem sticking out of the beer.

Will have to take a trip to Dave's to get a proper hydrometer.

Anybody know the OG of Unreal Ale as per Coopers instructions?

I'd put it at around 1048.

You should really get yourself a PLASTIC HYDROMETER Warren [lol].

REALLY???? You had to bring that subject up again????[pinched] [pinched] Now we will get another 300 PLASTIC HYDROMETER posts from ol Weggle[lol] [lol] [lol]

I'd put it at around 1048.

You should really get yourself a PLASTIC HYDROMETER Warren [lol].

I was thinking the same thing[lol].

Squishy - It was going to happen anyway, one of those things you can't control but you can help antagonise it.

Thanks boys. Squishy don't you replies that PLASTIC HYDROMETERS have been put on the back burner for the moment, I can't handle 2 things at once I'm not a woman, the current project is to get on the board, but I have been dealt a body blow as it appears that only family members can get there.

I wiil return to the older project soon.

Warren

to get this PLASTIC HYDROMETER it may even be worth the money to buy the new DIY kit.

Found this on EBAY and it doesnt look plastic. I also dont think it will sell for a price like that, abit more financially viable to buy 6 DIY kits first.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nalge-Company-All-Plastic-Hydrometer-3630-1000-NEW-/220578182331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item335b7bf4bb

IDK what I did on my 1st lager brew,but the OG was 1.048! Finished 12 days later (at 20C) at 1.012. Gave me 5.33%ABV. Oh yea! But the fruity/tart gremlins hit me when I bottled it,so it's getting 3 weeks to age. And 1 week cold shock in the fridge. That ought to do it. So you should be fine. Just don't skimp on the aging part of the brew. Patience is a virtue,they say...

Squishy, I did not bring up the PLASTIC HYDROMETERS it was muddy. He's called Muddy Waters because he's always stiring. [roll]

I brewed the toucan Pale Ale, Canadian Blond today nothing else but hops my bloody Brigalow hydrometer was once again down to the bubble, has to guess the OG at about 55, anybody know if this is correct. Pulled off about 300ml first.

Weggl

Squishy' date=' I did not bring up the PLASTIC HYDROMETERS it was muddy. He's called Muddy Waters because he's always stiring. [roll']

Warren

I Know it was muddy and my post was directed to him.... Sorry for any possible confusion i will sit in the corner and mind my own buisness next time[roll] [roll] [biggrin]

Squishy' date=' I did not bring up the PLASTIC HYDROMETERS it was muddy. He's called Muddy Waters because he's always stiring. [roll']

I brewed the toucan Pale Ale, Canadian Blond today nothing else but hops my bloody Brigalow hydrometer was once again down to the bubble, has to guess the OG at about 55, anybody know if this is correct. Pulled off about 300ml first.

Weggl

I broke my after market hydrometer and only have the little brig one now too. I don't even bother with an OG. I take my first reading between 5-7 days thinking fermentation might be just about done (for ales, i leave it another 5 days for lagers). If it is higher than expected I leave it another 2-4 days and go again and then check after another 1-2 days for OG. If it's the same as previous reading I bottle (or keg). I'm not that concerned about knowing the 'exact' %ABV. ballpark figures from the online calculators suffice for me.

Sorry for any possible confusion i will sit in the corner and mind my own buisness next time[roll] [roll] [biggrin]

Come out of the corner Squishy. I'll not mention PLASTIC HYDROMETERS again (not today anyway [innocent] ).

I usually check the OG more for a quick taste than anything (I often don't bother though). But it isn't really overly important. It's the FG that means the most.

Archived