Coopers Community

Am I doing something wrong?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having a similar problem. My OS lager kit had an OG of 1.048 on 1/30/11,but at 30C,the temp I pitched at after the hydrometer test. Seemed stuck after 1st 12 hours,touch & go to get ferment done. It held at 22C for about a week,then 20C,even with my old fleece lined work coat over it. On 2/5/11,got a 1st FG of 1.016. The aroma was way better;yeasty smell gone,sweet beer smell. Some carbonation already,clearing but still a lil misty. Now,on 2/11/11,got 2nd FG of 1.012,& Taste going fruity/lil sour. I think it's been sitting on the trub too long.? I think if it's at 1.012 today,I'm gunna bottle it. Gotta make sure I get a better start temp next time. I think I topped up with too much warm water To get to 23L mark. Won't make that mistake again. I also wondered if I should make a yeast starter with the coopers kit yeast,for,say,no more than 3 hours?...

hi leonard,

try putting the FV in the snow bank (you must have some snow in ohio) to get the temp. down fast next time. also try not to fill the FV right up to 23L before you take a temp. reading. that way you can adjust the temp. of the last few liters to either cool it down or warm it up.

using a starter is a good idea if you feel like the extra step. it kicks off the fermentation right away and "proofs" the viablity of your yeast. with a starter you should see activity within a couple of hours. sprinkling yeast dry works fine for the most part. it just doen't start fermenting as quickly. the faster the fermenting process starts the less chance of infection.

oh, don't forget to give the wort a good stir to get plenty of O2 in there before adding the yeast. it helps the yeast do it's thing

• 2 weeks later...

Well I kegged a CAPA last night and the Gravity reading was 1002 and still falling.

I did what people told me here and used Sodium Percarbonate instead of Sodium Met to clean fermenter etc but still nothing seems to have changed, the SG just doesn't want to stop. I also used tap water this time instead of filtered water from my fridge.

I have ordered some Starsan now so I will clean as I have done previously then spray everything with Starsan and see what happens with the next brew.

I am also on the look out for a fridge to ferment in and have a temp controller in the mail. This should eliminate the environment at least.

Are there any other suggestions as to why I just don't reach a FG?... this is really starting to bug me now.

When you say the filtered water is plumbed into the house, is it from the same water source as the tap water. It still sounds like you have a little enzyme or something thats getting into your brew.

Maybe pasturise the water and the ingredients before chucking them in (the only issue is 23 L of pasturised water is alot).

Yes the fridge is plumbed into the main water supply to the house. (same as the taps) However, there is a filter inside the fridge that the water passes through prior to use.

I won't have the Starsan in time for my next brew but will have it the one after.

I will do as you suggested, even though it'll be 23l water. rather than boiling the jug though I have a large pot at home I will fill with water and put a lid on. Then boil it and wait for it to cool before removing the lid to add to the fermenter.

No' date=' I don't use bleach. I use SODIUM METABISULPHITE. (Instructions for use are: After cleaning your equipment you can sterilise by using one teaspoonful per 5 litres and soaking for 2 hours. The solution does not keep. Drain well, but do not rinse.)[/quote']

I use Sodium Metabisulphate too, good stuff but mine says to "Allow to stand for one hour to dry then rinse with clean cold water".

Would making a brew using bottled spring water be an option?

Would be a great option Jack. I only have the problem here that the water costs an arm and a leg.

This maybe something to think about. If you were using bottles (instead of kegs) would this be a potential hazard for bottle bombs. I am only thinking so because it is still fermenting away when you put it to secondary storage.

Would be a great option Jack. I only have the problem here that the water costs an arm and a leg.

This maybe something to think about. If you were using bottles (instead of kegs) would this be a potential hazard for bottle bombs. I am only thinking so because it is still fermenting away when you put it to secondary storage.

Even though I keg my beers there are still 3-4 bottles to fill the left overs which I use PET bottles. I haven't had any problems yet but have been checking them every 2 days just in case.

• 3 weeks later...

Well buggard if I know wtf is going on. I have tried just about everything yet i still get the FG not wanting to stop. Just did a Sparkling Ale and the FG was at 1002 but still dropping. I don't want it to go below 1000 because it just tastes crap imo then.

Last attempt I boiled all the water before it went into the fermenter and used starsan on everything that was used and used napisan to soak the fermenter for 48 hours prior to using but still no good!@!!.

The very first brew I ever did it was fine but every one thereafter has the SG dropping and no FG was met.

I have one more I put in last night which was a Tooheys Special Lager (given to me) but I tried to rehydrate the yeast because it was dated 2008 and even though I had a very slight reaction last night, I think I killed it when pitched as there was nothing but dead yeast on the bottom this morning so I repitched with kit yeast from a Coopers Lager I have and hopefully will see some reaction tonight when I knock off work.

Anyhow, if this does not find a FG then I will try a different fermenter. I was given a fermenter which comes with the old coopers microbrew kit, so will try that.

I now have my temp coontroller setup with a fridge. Just need a heat source so that issue will be factored out and I shouldn't have any temp issues whatsoever then. Mind you I never had previously anyway.

THIS IS A PUZZLE THAT HAS ME FLABAGASTED AND FRUSTRATED!!!.... even if I need to buy a complete new kit, I would really like to find out why my FG won't stop.

Hi Phil

The Sparkling Ale I have done 2.

1st:

1 can of goo

.500 Dextrose

1kg LDM

23L pitched kit yeast at 24C

Fermented between 22C & 24C

2nd:

1 can goo

1 BE2

.500 LDM

14g Citra (Dry added on day 4)

==================

Not only this but have also done:

2 x Coopers Lager

1 x Coopers Pale Ale

1 x Irish Ale (to Coopers recipe on this forum.)

2 x Canadian Blondes

1 x Coopers Real Ale

2 x Coopers Draught

and others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Some of these I followed the kit recipe or recipe on this forum and some I added a bit more Dex & LDM.

Most were fermented around 22C and almost all had 23L. Kit yeast used in all and pitched between 22C & 26C.

The only one that appeared to have reached FG was the very first Lager I did which come with the DIY kit.

It appears my Hydrometer is fine and I really think I clean and sanitize as good as the next person now.

I have about another 12 kits at home so maybe not reaching a FG might have its benefits with a toucan [roll]

Paul, do you have anymore ideas about what could be my problem here?... sorry to be a pain but I would really like to get to the bottom of it. It would be nice knowing when my FG reaches on various brews.

I have a fridge with a temp controller now and will rig up a light on the weekend for a heating source. This will eliminate any possible temp problems although I don't think I have any now but won't hurt to try anyway.

Edit: whoops, here I was thinking Phil for some reason. Corrected now, sorry Paul.

I would still like to know what is going on with this as well. It still sounds to me that a bug is around somewhere but you have boiled water, your sanitation procedures are ok.

Sounds wierd to me. Have you taken the tap off the fermenter and gave it a good soaking with the fermenter, 24 hours in the nappy san solution you made.

Phil, I mean Paul [cool] could it be that something is in the water that the yeast like to eat. That way when boiling it, it would still stay in the water as boiling it will only kill of any bugs.

Have you taken the tap off the fermenter and gave it a good soaking with the fermenter' date=' 24 hours in the nappy san solution you made.[/quote']

Previously yes and also last week I soaked it for just under a week before I put the current brew down.

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with my beer until it starts fermenting below 1000 SG but that's obvious why then. I just want my FG to stop where it should, or thereabouts anyway. I guess then I will be able to condition it as well. I'm too scared to leave it sit around another week. Lord knows I'd probably end up with an FG of about 100.

Bill, it is highly unlikely that the problem lies with the design of fermenting vessel.

Bear with me as some of my questions may seem painfully obvious [roll]

When you check the SG, do you have a smell and a taste of the sample prior to discarding it?

Do you draw off a new sample each time you check SG?

When you get a low SG what does the hydrometer read if immediately placed in water?

Bill, it is highly unlikely that the problem lies with the design of fermenting vessel.

Bear with me as some of my questions may seem painfully obvious [roll]

When you check the SG, do you have a smell and a taste of the sample prior to discarding it?

Do you draw off a new sample each time you check SG?

When you get a low SG what does the hydrometer read if immediately placed in water?

Paul, thanks for taking the time to help and am happy to answer any questions to help.

Yes I smell and tast the sample used to test SG... in fact I usually drink the whole lot. I don't like waste and haven't come across one yet that tastes bad [smile]

When I check SG I usually draw off about 2/3 of a tube before taking a sample. (drink this too) [whistling

Yes, I draw off a new sample for a reading everytime....

"When you get a low SG what does the hydrometer read if immediately placed in water?"

I have never tested this but will be doing a reading tonight so will post results either tonight or tomorrow. It should be about ready as it has been fermenting for 7 days now but this is first test for OG. I have previously checked the accuracy of the hydrometer by taking a reading at 20C water and it was at 1000. When taking a reading I will spin the hydrometer and tap it to the bottom a few times to ensure no bubbles then let it sit for a while and everytime I go past will do this again. I'll take the reading about 20-25 minutes after the sample has been drawn.

I also agree that I don't think it is the FV but just trying to eliminate everything.

Move over pro's and let the dummy have a go...[lol]

Seems you've tried everything except a 2nd hydrometer. Do all the scientific tests you like on it, but there's no better test than replacing it. The problem is far too wierd to be anything else IMO.

Move over pro's and let the dummy have a go...[lol]

Seems you've tried everything except a 2nd hydrometer. Do all the scientific tests you like on it, but there's no better test than replacing it. The problem is far too wierd to be anything else IMO.

Sorry but I disagree and I really don't want to spend money on another hydrometer, my reasons why I disagree are:

1/ The hydrometer reads correctly in water at 20C. i.e it reads 1000 so must be calibrated correctly.

2/ There are no 2 readings the same. If the hydrometer is out by whatever amount regardless, you would still get the same readings eventually anyway. My problem is that FG is not reached. i.e. no 2 readings the same and even sometimes I get <1000 and you can taste it when it is below 1000. lol I reckon you could almost make some spirit from it.

The brew I have in at the moment has been fermenting for 6 days (I thought 7 earlier but checked my notes and has been only 6). The SG is currently on 1006, it is supposed to stop at 1008. Obviously 06 is permissible. However, I will leave it until tomorrow now and will take another reading then and keg regardless of the outcome. My bet is it will be less than 06!

After testing SG at 1006 the reading in plain water at 20C is 998

Archived