Coopers Community

Am I doing something wrong?

I recently did a Coopers Irish Ale and although varied slightly from the recipe here there really shouldn't have been a great deal of difference to the supposed outcome.

The FG still hadn't finished at 1006 but I kegged at that time which took 8 days anyway.

Recipe:

1 can of Coopers Draught

1kg Dextrose

.500g LDM

300g Golden Syrup

OG: 1050

FG: 1006

Filled to 21L and pitched kit yeast @ 24C

Fermented at 21-22C

The fermentation was supposed to stop at around 1012 but this didn't happen.

A previous brew I did was with a Coopers Sparkling Ale and had similar issues. i.e. when I checked for FG I got a reading of 999 instead of anticipated 1008. I checked my hydrometer in 20C water and it read 1000 so I have eliminated that as a cause. The Sparkling ale had a slight strange after taste, something like a home brew spirit. (hard for me to describe).

I am dumbfounded as to why my FG is not finishing where it should, it just seems to want to continue fermenting. Because of this I am weary to leave the fermenter to settle/clear afterward as I have no idea what the outcome would be and don't want to chance having to throw out something that would have been drinkable if I hadn't left it to clear.

Any ideas of what my problem is?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is interesting. You haven't included any other things to the brew such as enzymes or anything like that.

I think it would be worth a test too just leave it and see what the next one finishes at and see how it tastes.

Also it makes me wonder if a bug or something is around that is getting into the brew.

The strange aftertaste for your sparkling ale maybe too much alcohol, that is an extremely low FG.

I have listed everything I put into the brew. I am really concious of sanitary conditions as well.

I use the DIY Coopers Kit fermenter and the first few brews I did were great. I followed the recipe to 2 Coopers Lagers and 3 Coopers Blondes and a Coopers Draught and had no problems. The fermenter sits on the floor in my kitchen and remains at 21-22C with no drafts whatsoever.

I know you said to test the next brew and leave it to see where it finishes but I have a party next weekend that I need it kegged for so don't want to chance ruining it completely by leaving it too long. I will test with the brew after that one and see where it finishes but have a funny feeling it will also continue and maybe even leaving the beer undrinkable. [crying]

I hope it doesnt leave it undrinkable.

Do you use bleach when sanitising. I have heard that people that dont use bleach and have funny little issues and then all of a sudden they bleach and the issue is gone.

Also have you tried using bottled water or water from the shop, it could be that a bug is in the water which makes the gravity lower.

The water I use is from the fridge which is plumbed into the house and is filtered. (maybe need to change the filter?... but this is expensive so would rather leave this option until last) Maybe try tap water next time. (Tassie water is pretty good)

No, I don't use bleach. I use SODIUM METABISULPHITE. (Instructions for use are: After cleaning your equipment you can sterilise by using one teaspoonful per 5 litres and soaking for 2 hours. The solution does not keep. Drain well, but do not rinse.)

If I were to change to bleach, can I use standard Napisan and if so at what diluted ratio?

I guess I should try one thing different each brew to know exactly where the problem is. Gee this could take a while [sad]

Yes fragerence free is the best, I would just assume you could use a cup of napisan as well, although I couldn't be sure as I use the homebrand fragerence free bleach from my local supermarket which is $1.50 for 2L. Have not had a problem so far and I know all the bugs are dead.

You need to rinse the fermenter fairly well to try and remove the smell.

I use the Coles version of napisan - but make sure it is the one for sensitive skin as this doesn't have perfumes.

I just put a caps worth of powder in (probably about 1/3 of a cup) and fill with water. Leave it over night and give it a thorough rinse out. When rinsing I start with a kettle (1.5 - 2L) of boiling water and swish it around then give it a good rinse with the hose.

I am a bit dubious as to whether Cleaning techniques have anything to do with Bill's low FG's but Ihaven't got any ideas. I'm sure PB2 will have a learned reason or suggestion though....so wait and see what he has to say.

We don't recommend sodium met' - check here for cleaning info.

Organisms, other than the pitched yeast, can reduce the density of the brew to a level below the expected.

Your water source may be contributing to the problem.

Click on your name at the top left of screen and edit profile to include location details.

I occasionally temperature correct but if it's in the general vicinty of where it should be I don't bother. I'm a bit lazy I just take a hydo sample at the end of the first week and by this time fermentation is usally done and dusted. I then leave it in the fermentor for another week and don't bother with a final sample.

Of course if my week 1 hydro sample isn't where it should be I start a no holds barred rescue mission [biggrin]

We don't recommend sodium met' - check here for cleaning info.

Organisms, other than the pitched yeast, can reduce the density of the brew to a level below the expected.

Your water source may be contributing to the problem.

Click on your name at the top left of screen and edit profile to include location details.

Have updated info now. I wasn't sure where to do that thanks.

I am curious though as my LHBS recommended Sodium Met, what is the reason why you wouldn't use it?

Next brew I will try using straight tap water and see if there is any difference in case it maybe the fridge filters.

I could personally say my cleaning techniques should not be an issue and the DIY fermenter is a breeze to clean because there is no need to worry about threads, nooks and crannies because there are none. However, that's not saying the products I use aren't the issue. eg. Sodium met which apparently is not recommended.

My equipment (not kegs and beer lines/fridge) cleaning regime is:

Fill fermenter with hot water and rinse the krausen Collar and lid. Wipe vigorously with a soft cloth until all appears clean and "smooth" to touch. Rinse then repeat with fresh hot water and rinse again. Pull apart the tap and use babies teet brush (bottle brush)to clean inside both parts with hot water. Rinse the clean stirring spoon and jug (that I use to fill fermenter) in hot water and place in the fermenter.

Put 5 teaspoons of Sodium Metabisulphite in the fermenter and fill to the brim and fit the krausen collar. Leave for 2-24 hours. Drain through the tap and I don't wipe it dry but shake the water out as much as possible.

Hrrrmmm I think that covers all I do.

does anyboby out there make corrections for the temperature at which the hydro sample was taken?

@ 21-22C the correction would be +1 to your S.G. @ 24C you should add 2

i don't know. just throwing that one out there. it still doesn't solve billk's problem

I doubt this to be a problem as my FG isn't being reached or it is too far off the scale to be an issue for 1,2,3,4 or 5 points.

FG on Irish Ale is supposed to be 1012 and it was still going down even though I kegged at 1006. The FG on the Sparkling Ale was 999 when I expected somewhere around 1008-1014.

Sodium Met' date=' what is the reason why you wouldn't use it?[/quote']

It works by releasing sulphur dioxide gas, which is effective against some beer spoilage organisms but not all. It also, carries no cleaning ability.

However, it works particularly well in knocking over humans with respiratory issues (eg. asthma sufferers).[pinched]

no' date=' i don't thing the temp. correction thing is the problem. the difference on your example leads to something else. your sample would have to be taken at 34C to make 6 points of correction. it wasn't taken at that temp. was it?[/quote']

I'm in Tasmania so the answer to your question is no.

Sodium Met' date=' what is the reason why you wouldn't use it?[/quote']

It works by releasing sulphur dioxide gas, which is effective against some beer spoilage organisms but not all. It also, carries no cleaning ability.

However, it works particularly well in knocking over humans with respiratory issues (eg. asthma sufferers).[pinched]

Well I am amazed the LHBS sells it. The again I am in Slowbart so it wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks very much for the info. I will ensure I change to another sanitizer before the next brew.

Archived