Coopers Community

Pressure Fermenting

Steve WA

I'm wondering what styles of beer are more suited to pressure fermentation. I have read a bit on the subject & have got a sparging valve which I will set at 10-12 psi, I will be fermenting in a 50lt pub keg then transferring to a 30 lt pub keg. I was going to control the temperature around 20 deg C . As this will be a first for me ( lots of open fermenting experience) just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge on this subject?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve WA said:

I'm wondering what styles of beer are more suited to pressure fermentation. I have read a bit on the subject & have got a sparging valve which I will set at 10-12 psi, I will be fermenting in a 50lt pub keg then transferring to a 30 lt pub keg. I was going to control the temperature around 20 deg C . As this will be a first for me ( lots of open fermenting experience) just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge on this subject?

Lager yeasts love fermentation under pressure. Especially Lallemand Diamond.

Start off as normal, then up the temp and pressure as the yeast becomes more active.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve WA said:

Hi Steve and welcome to the Forum.

I have been happy with a few lagers I did at 15psi and 23°C.  That does not mean it is ideal, just that I liked them.  Definitely speeds up the ferment much more than a traditional 10-12°C lager ferment.  However, I still did my usual drop by 1.5°C every 12 hours, to 0-1°C cold crash,  then around a week at that temperature.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 4:35 PM, Steve WA said:

Basically any beer where you don't want a yeast influence. As others have said lagers are perfectly suited. Hoppy ales like pale ales, NEIPA's as well. Yeast driven beers like saisons, Belgians, witbiers, wheat beers are best done the traditional way.

• Like 4