Coopers Community

Coopers Ginger Beer Revival?

Joe Bloggs

image.jpeg.b7393bf4d1ef2d39691f9d2b6b52ba10.jpeg

Does anybody remember these bad boys? Coopers stopped producing them 6 years ago, upon calling them was told it was to repackage them with some new environmentally friendly packaging which sounded like bollocks at the time. Called a couple more times and was told some other rubbish about looking for a new source for the ginger and will be out in a few months, smart asses on Ebay were trying to flog the cans for $200 at one point...... Since then i've tried all the other available ginger beer kits with the results tasting like they were soaked in a hobos dirty jocks to outright poison. Does anybody who misses them want to join in an online petition or just start a campaign bombarding coopers with calls/ emails to bring it back. Used to pimp the recipe up to approx 4.5% and added nutmeg and buderim ginger to give a beautiful spicy taste. Maybe now that ginger beer is all trendy with hipsters they might be more inclined to bring it back.

Edited by Joe Bloggs
Added comment

9 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Coopers stopped producing them 6 years ago, upon calling them was told it was to repackage them with some new environmentally friendly packaging which sounded like bollocks at the time. Called a couple more times and was told some other rubbish about looking for a new source for the ginger and will be out in a few months, smart asses on Ebay were trying to flog the cans for $200 at one point......

Memory can be a fickle and unreliable thing, Joe. If you called the brewery in the past six years to discuss DIY you would have spoken to me, and I did not tell you that Ginger Beer was withdrawn from sale in order "to repackage (the product) with some new environmentally friendly packaging..."  or that we were looking for a "new source for the ginger". 

Ginger Beer was withdrawn from sale in order to rework the recipe into a product more in keeping with our philosophy of "no preservatives, no additives". Taking the Aspartame out of the formulation while maintaining the the option of a non-alc version has proven a lot trickier than we'd anticipated. The good news is that we've finalized the recipe and are in the process of sourcing someone to package it for us. We can't package Ginger Beer on the Home Brew Line here at the brewery (and never have). 

I know we've been saying "it's coming back soon" for a couple of years now, and I do apologise for that, but it hasn't been a deliberate attempt to lead you on. We've just run into more unforeseen obstacles than than a blindfolded team on it's a Knockout.

Cheers, Frank. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2023 at 10:36 AM, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

The good news is that we've finalized the recipe and are in the process of sourcing someone to package it for us. We can't package Ginger Beer on the Home Brew Line here at the brewery (and never have). 

Awesome, look forward to the promo pricing so we can all brew and report back!!!!  😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2023 at 10:36 AM, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Memory can be a fickle and unreliable thing, Joe. If you called the brewery in the past six years to discuss DIY you would have spoken to me, and I did not tell you that Ginger Beer was withdrawn from sale in order "to repackage (the product) with some new environmentally friendly packaging..."  or that we were looking for a "new source for the ginger". 

Ginger Beer was withdrawn from sale in order to rework the recipe into a product more in keeping with our philosophy of "no preservatives, no additives". Taking the Aspartame out of the formulation while maintaining the the option of a non-alc version has proven a lot trickier than we'd anticipated. The good news is that we've finalized the recipe and are in the process of sourcing someone to package it for us. We can't package Ginger Beer on the Home Brew Line here at the brewery (and never have). 

I know we've been saying "it's coming back soon" for a couple of years now, and I do apologise for that, but it hasn't been a deliberate attempt to lead you on. We've just run into more unforeseen obstacles than than a blindfolded team on it's a Knockout.

Cheers, Frank. 

Iluvgingerbeer

•  
  • Coopers Club Members

Hi, I have been waiting in earnest for the new release, I actually rang Coopers some time mid last year when I couldn't find it on the shelves and spoke to a girl there, at the time she told me the new production run was a few months away putting the release around September 2017. Well guys it is now mid February 2018 and I don't see it on any shelves?? I unintentionally had a few cans of it for no other reason than I have the philosophy of I would rather say "here it is" than "where is it", I brewed a batch 2 weeks ago delicious, I have 1 can left. A couple of years back I tried to replicate the taste as I consider the coopers to be the best tasting ginger beer I have ever tasted, my feeble attempts to brew using fresh or powdered ginger didn't get me even close and we all know what the "other" brand of DIY ginger beer tastes like (puke). I have read the comments about the old batch tasting of artificial sweetener and until reading the comments I never give it a thought but bear in mind I condition in a keg and pour from tap and that improves the flavour of any of the Coopers DIY products as opposed to secondary fermentation in a bottle, but that is just my humble opinion. The fact is for me the coopers tastes better than anything else on the market wether it be a DIY or brewery produced off the shelf in a bottle. I have 20l on tap and 1 can left, I am getting desperate!!

Unless you're female Frank. It would appear other members of the Coopers staff are capable of answering phones also (as noted above) and giving bum advice because that's what I was told by some dude and my memories spot on not fickle. Hope it does make a comeback. Highly doubt it will though. 

Edited by Joe Bloggs
Added comment