Coopers Community

Coopers Draught recipes

ChairmanDrew

I'm just looking at some recipes on the site for draught since I have a can of (Lion) Draught extract waiting to be made.

I came across a couple of intriguingly simple recipes, but I have a couple of questions.

The absolute simplest seems to be https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/zephyr-light.html , which apparently gives you 2.9% ABV. But I thought that would be not far off what the can on its own would give you without the added 1kg dextrose...

Then there's https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/irish-ale.html , which is practically the same recipe, but with 300gm of golden syrup added.

Has anyone tried either of these, with any success or otherwise?

• Like 2

Careful with the Zephyr Light recipe. It has been mentioned on  here before.

It says BUY 1Kg of dextrose, because that what size it comes in.

However you only USE 100 grams of it.

So, yes you're correct. Not far off what the can by itself would give you.

I  haven't made either of them, but they sound OK. I'd probably make the Zephyr for summer drinking.

After working in the garden or friends around for BBQ when it's hot and you want to sink a few.

The other one sounds nice too. Still only 4.1%. I might give it a go at some point.

Sounds like the kind of thing I can give to my son when they have a BBQ at his Rural Fire Service station.

Edited by Graculus
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, Graculus said:

It says BUY 1Kg of dextrose, because that what size it comes in.

However you only USE 100 grams of it.

Huge Tip there, read the recipe

The ingredients list is not always clear about the amount used

• Like 4

AHA! Yeah, read the recipe indeed. I was really just scanning for simple recipes so oversaw the difference between "Recipe contains:" and "Ingredients".

I guess I was just a bit skeptical of whether either of them would be any good, because I'm generally pretty skeptical of any brew that pretty much just uses an extract can and dextrose.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, DavidM said:

Huge Tip there, read the recipe

The ingredients list is not always clear about the amount used

+ 1 @DavidM .  Guilty as charged your honour!

I have been trained over many years to speed read highly technical manuals for computer systems and software, only picking out the relevant bits.  So I have become one, no doubt to skim over a finer detail like that for sure.  I do it a lot in cooking, especially a first time recipe attempt. ha ha.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldbloke said:

I did this a few years ago. Close, not identical. 

1 can coopers draught 400 Golden Syrup, 500 Glucose, 250 Corn Syrup.

My comment is "fair".

But was trying to duplicate a Kilkenny.

I've been looking at the use of golden syrup since seeing the above linked "Irish Ale" recipe. I'm thinking of trying it out, but with a few hops added, in case it is "meh".

Edited by ChairmanDrew

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 12:11 AM, ChairmanDrew said:

I'm just looking at some recipes on the site for draught since I have a can of (Lion) Draught extract waiting to be made.

Coopers Draught is this month's ROTM. Even if you don't try that exact recipe it would be worth taking a look at.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Coopers Draught is this month's ROTM. Even if you don't try that exact recipe it would be worth taking a look at.

Cheers. I saw that, but it's a bit beyond my skill/capability level right now. I just put the brew on yesterday, ended up using this recipe that Shamus gave me in another thread:

• 1.7Kg Lion Draught Extract
  • 500g Dextrose (used 400gm)
  • 500g DME
  • 12.5g Nelson Sauvin and 12.5g Moutere in 5 minute boil in 2 litres plus the DME (rounded it up to 15gm each)
  • 12.5g Nelson Sauvin and 12.5g Moutere dry hop (yet to add, probably tomorrow)

The Nelson Sauvin hops smell bloody amazing. The Moutere are a bit funkier (faint whiff of feet...) but milder. Hopefully makes for a nice combination.

• Like 4

On 4/29/2023 at 10:08 PM, Oldbloke said:

I did this a few years ago. Close, not identical. 

1 can coopers draught 400 Golden Syrup, 500 Glucose, 250 Corn Syrup.

My comment is "fair".

But was trying to duplicate a Kilkenny.

Why would you want to clone Kilkenny? IMHO, it tastes rather feral 🙂

Worthy of cloning would be the Smithwick's Red, which Kilkenny is based on. Kilkenny is the "export" version of Smithwick's but it has nothing on it. The problem is they do not export Smitty, probably because they want to keep the good stuff to themselves. It is as scarce as hens teeth outside Ireland. I normally don't clone beers, but if I found a true to the original recipe, I'd make an exception. Frequently. 🙂 

On 4/29/2023 at 11:35 PM, ChairmanDrew said:

I've been looking at the use of golden syrup since seeing the above linked "Irish Ale" recipe. I'm thinking of trying it out, but with a few hops added, in case it is "meh".

There's also an Irish Red Ale recipe. It's a bit more complex than the Irish Ale. I'm going to give that one a try soon.