Coopers Community

Dry hopping- 0k to cold crash?

Spursman

I've been a very basic k&k bloke, only changing things up by reusing premium yeast, temperature controlling, D resting and cold crashing. I stick to Coopers Canadian Blonde, Morgans Premium Lager yeast and LHBS enhancer. Fermentation is at 12°c.

I mentioned to the LHBS owner that I would like a bit more aroma and he suggested using Morgans Cascade finishing hops. 

Should I add the hops prior to D rest, or after and is it still OK to cold crash? My usual time line is ferment for 10 days, D rest for 2, cold crash for 2, bottle.

26 minutes ago, Spursman said:

I've been a very basic k&k bloke, only changing things up by reusing premium yeast, temperature controlling, D resting and cold crashing. I stick to Coopers Canadian Blonde, Morgans Premium Lager yeast and LHBS enhancer. Fermentation is at 12°c.

I mentioned to the LHBS owner that I would like a bit more aroma and he suggested using Morgans Cascade finishing hops. 

Should I add the hops prior to D rest, or after and is it still OK to cold crash? My usual time line is ferment for 10 days, D rest for 2, cold crash for 2, bottle.

Yeah, you can dry hop and cold crash. I agree with @beach_life that it is probably best done during the d-rest and that the 12g won't get you very far. If you want a proper hop aroma, get some fresh hops and use more of them. Not saying I'm the bee's knees but I usually use around 50g for dry hopping. And fresh is important. Whatever is left, vacuum seal it if possible and put it in the freezer. If you can't vac seal, chuck them into a zip lock bag, get as much air out as you can and then freeze them. Hops can start oxidising when exposed to air for 30 minutes. 

• Like 2

And then there's the unfortunate phenomenon of "hop fade".  If you really want a decent amount of an aromatic hit then you definitely need to dry hop with much larger amounts, but it definitely doesn't last.  Experiences may vary, but my personal experience is dry hop big and drink as soon as...   or don't bother.    

• Like 5