Coopers Community

advice needed kegging

Brucewr0

i am about to start kegging my brew instead of using pet bottles.

the question i have is:  i have been using coopers pale ale with 700gr brew enhancer 3 (to keep the alchohol content down) with 150gr maltodextrin to give good head in the bottles.

Do i still need to add the maltodextrin to my brew for increased head as carbonation will be by co2 in the keg not sugar in bottles.

advice will be appreciated.

thank you

55 minutes ago, Brucewr0 said:

the question i have is:  i have been using coopers pale ale with 700gr brew enhancer 3 (to keep the alchohol content down) with 150gr maltodextrin to give good head in the bottles.

Do i still need to add the maltodextrin to my brew for increased head as carbonation will be by co2 in the keg not sugar in bottles.

thank you

Which ever way you do it your beer will be carbonated by C02. I would keep using the maltodextrin it provides "support" for the head. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Brucewr0 said:

thank you

Hi @Brucewr0 I have been kegging for 12 months & my thoughts are you would still be OK with adding it as I have found no difference between adding sugar to a bottle or kegging the brew, it just ends up a better pour & a better drink, you would still need the adjuncts to ensure the body & head retention.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brucewr0 said:

thank you

Keep the recipe the same as indicated by the others.  

Don't forget to note that your brews will be about 0.4% less ABV because you will not be adding sugar to carbonate.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

Which ever way you do it your beer will be carbonated by C02. I would keep using the maltodextrin it provides "support" for the head. 

i did think that but wanted to double check. 

thank you all for your advice. much appreciated

• Like 4