Coopers Community

Stout hops

Goldcoast Crow

So beer crew I have decided to make a stout for the first time, the coopers with be3 is my base… I do like hops but am thinking of just trial running my first one with out… all suggestions are welcome!!

Edited by Goldcoast Crow
Auto correct was wrong
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

So beer crew I have decided to make a stout for the first time, the coopers with be3 is my base… I do like hops but am thinking of just trial running my first one with out… all suggestions are welcome!!

It would probably take alot of hops to come through in that style of beer. The couple of times I done a stout I used 40 or 50 grams of EKG and Fuggles in a small boil. That was one lot for each brew not both together.

Noticed the taste first month in bottle, almost blended in completely after 3 months or more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

I would use the same hops and amounts as @Uhtred Of Beddanburg. However, I would do them in a hop tea for 20 minutes at 80C, then strain the tea into the FV before pitching the yeast.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I would use the same hops and amounts as @Uhtred Of Beddanburg. However, I would do them in a hop tea for 20 minutes at 80C, then strain the tea into the FV before pitching the yeast.

Interesting, in all the time I have been brewing I have never used hops in any Stout, I may try it one day but as we try to age Stout, you're bound to lose it after a while.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Interesting, in all the time I have been brewing I have never used hops in any Stout, I may try it one day but as we try to age Stout, you're bound to lose it after a while.

Thats the trouble with the style if want to age it may as well not bother with the hops. Drank in fist few months will get something out of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Thats the trouble with the style if want to age it may as well not bother with the hops. Drank in fist few months will get something out of it.

Yeah, the idea of trying to age Stout here doesn't really work here in my Brewery, I think the longest I have been able to is about 4-5 months because it is always on demand.

A good Stout made well is usually starting to peak around 8 weeks, of course it will improve but mine seems to evaporate for some reason. 🤣

• Haha 3