Coopers Community

Samual Adams Clone

stquinto

G'day interpid brewers,

I fancy having another go at a Samuel Adams Lager clone but I missed my window to ferment at lager temperatures. I will really have to invest in more accurate temperature control, but that's for another day.

Has anyone tried Sam Adams using a yeast such as Nottingham ? I came across a recipe with it

https://beerrecipes.org/Recipe/1994/samuel-adams-boston-lager-clone.html

I also came across a recipe suggesting lager yeast with an option to brew at room temperature :

image.png.32515074e5d5dd72c7a7772d41dd5c06.png

My recipe had pale malt, caramel crystal and melanoiden, and uses Tettnang and Hallertau.

Has anyone tried with an ale yeast at around 20°C ?

Cheers !

51 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Just to add on a point: I also have a Fermzilla so can pressure ferment. Obviously I'll have to open it up to dry hop, unless I can rig up the magnet system and drop the hops in after.

I have just done a Samuel Adams clone and it is very nice. I did it under pressure with W34/70 @ 23°. I do not think that dry hopping under pressure is really much of a problem you just have to be careful when you de-pressurise, just release the pressure very slowly via the PRV. If you take the pressure off too quickly it will soon like like the podium of a F1 race. You are better off not going commando in my opinion after the problems that I had. After you have added the hops you can add CO2 to get back to your fermenting pressure, or if you are still a few points off FG you can just let the yeasty boys look after pressure.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I have just done a Samuel Adams clone and it is very nice. I did it under pressure with W34/70 @ 23°. I do not think that dry hopping under pressure is really much of a problem you just have to be careful when you de-pressurise, just release the pressure very slowly via the PRV. If you take the pressure off too quickly it will soon like like the podium of a F1 race. You are better off not going commando in my opinion after the problems that I had. After you have added the hops you can add CO2 to get back to your fermenting pressure, or if you are still a few points off FG you can just let the yeasty boys look after pressure.

Cheers mate, good to know you can ferment lager yeast at that temperature if under pressure.

I watched a vid with a bloke who got a dry hop volcano when he didn't get the top off in time. With his next attempt he pulled the PRV, the krausen mounted up, and he left it to subside. He did this several times until it calmed down, and he could drop the hops in.

When you went commando what problem did you get - a volcano ? I suppose a hop tea makes more sense, or a hop sack. I just ordered one of these :

https://www.kegland.com.au/pco1881-x-pco1881-female-ball-balve-dry-hop-device-for-fermzilla.html 

but it's coming from the UK so will take about 10 days.

I just checked - the coolest room is about 22°C at the moment but this weekend it's gunna get hotter.

I have two packs of W34/70,  three MJ Californian Lager yeasts and three Windsors. No Nottos left, aprat from one I saved from a Guinness brew, which seems inappropriate to use on a Sam Adams 😉

That'll be a beaut from a keg, looking forward to it.

I've been making too many high-strength beers so I'm keen on toning the brews down a bit...

@stquinto the problem that I had going commando was that the floating dip tube blocked up with trub and I couldn't get a full keg out of the FV, I ended up with just shy of 17l in the corny. I recommend when you dry hop use a hop sock or something to contain the pellets or you may have blockage problems as I had. I do not know if you have Chux cleaning cloths or similar there but new Chux from the packet as a hop sock works fine. Hop teas do work OK but you do not get full utilisation of the hops.

Dubbya (W34/70) is forgiving on temperatures, I reckon that you could use it without problems at ale temps, under pressure you will not have any problems at all up to at least 25° in my experience.

The problem that I mentioned in letting pressure out of a pressure vessel is just that as pressure drops the dissolved CO2 will come out of solution (F1 analogy with the Champagne bottle when they release the cap and pressure it goes ballistic) but if you just release the pressure slowly it will behave itself just fine. If I dry hop into a pressure fermenter at 15psi I usually take 5-10 minutes to slowly release the pressure via the PRV and that works without problems.

Yes this Sammy Adams Boston lager is very good, I haven't even lagered it as I had a beer shortage, and it is still very moorish!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

the problem that I had going commando was that the floating dip tube blocked up with trub

Yeah, I get you. I've put one of those little filters on, originally to keep the level of the tube just below the top of the beer as my first one the tube came above the beer and I had to open it up and siphon out the rest, which defeats the point of avoiding oxygen. Now I reckon it might double up as a hop filter, but I'll probably use a Chux cloth, I have a pack already.

Hopefully two pack of dubbya should do the trick.

2 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Yeah, I get you. I've put one of those little filters on, originally to keep the level of the tube just below the top of the beer as my first one the tube came above the beer and I had to open it up and siphon out the rest, which defeats the point of avoiding oxygen. Now I reckon it might double up as a hop filter, but I'll probably use a Chux cloth, I have a pack already.

Hopefully two pack of dubbya should do the trick.

If you ferment at higher temp, save yourself a packet dubbya, you will only need one.

• Thanks 1