Coopers Community

Brewdog

Graeme G

I have been using Coopers Voyager packs. A bit costly but I'm generally happy with the result.

My question is that if I soften my grain then crush it before steeping rather than just cracking

dry grain , would that affect the outcome?

• Like 1

Just now, Graeme G said:

I have been using Coopers Voyager packs. A bit costly but I'm generally happy with the result.

My question is that if I soften my grain then crush it before steeping rather than just cracking

What you're doing is conditioning the grain and you only dampen the grain and not saturate the grain. The best method is with a spray bottle of sort with hot water

run the grain through a mill if you own one  or using MUMS Best Rolling Pin

you will get a more even crush and good filter bed (not so important if you're only crushing grain for extract)

far as it effecting  the outcome you may reduce the astringency  of it

personally i wouldnt worry to much  in doing it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Graeme G said:

Hi Graeme and welcome to the forum.

I am not sure there is much of a benefit of softening the several 100 grams of grain in many of these packs. 

I am guessing that by softening you mean dampening with water from a spray bottle?  You might have seen articles or videos on conditioning grain before crushing it in a mill.  One method for this does involve spraying it with some water and mixing it before milling.  If done right, you can mill the grains finer without pulverising the grain husks.  A finer grain crush increases the surface area of endosperm that your mash water can get to and extract more sugars.  But a very fine grain crush will usually pulverise the husks.  Whole husks are needed to help drain the grain bed.  When you condition the grains the husks are softer and less prone to shattering. 

I have never tried conditioning my grain bill.  It seems like a lot of work for getting the same improvement that adding another 300g of grains will give me for under $2. 

OR

What @ozdevil said

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good advice S O's. I don't have a mill but have put grain through a coffee grinder but came out too fine.

I think I'll take your advice and just crack a little extra grain.

As i said I'm generally happy with the end product but I would like to get a bit more mouth feel.

I am brewing under pressure and using CO2 to carbonate in kegs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Graeme G said:

Good advice S O's. I don't have a mill but have put grain through a coffee grinder but came out too fine.

I think I'll take your advice and just crack a little extra grain.

As i said I'm generally happy with the end product but I would like to get a bit more mouth feel.

I am brewing under pressure and using CO2 to carbonate in kegs.

could add some oats   or a bit of wheat 

Also i wouldnt  suggest milling with  coffee grinder  and wet grain  , as it will be shore way of clogging the  grinder up and making a b&*#ch to clean and your partner may not forgive you

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Graeme G said:

In that small amount you wouldn't get much difference, or any benefit. I would just follow Coopers instructions with the Voyager packs.

All Grain brewing is a different kettle of fish. Wet conditioning grain before you crush is a method out there, yet to be proven or have any extra benefits. 

Gash who runs the Home Brew Network on youtube dabbled in it, but i think its somewhat of a pie in the sky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Gash who runs the Home Brew Network on youtube dabbled in it, but i think its somewhat of a pie in the sky.

yes gash  did dabble in this method but no longer does it really

• Like 1