Coopers Community

Sanitising

Matty A

Hi guys,

Just trying to improve my cleaning methods and was wondering how does everyone clean there equipment and bottles before use.

I currently unscrew the tap and remove any scum around the threads and put a bng in it. I then put the tap and spoon in the fermenter with a cup of bleach and then fill wit hot water. I let it soak for 2 hours before fining several times.

For the glass bottles I currently wash them in water removing any scum or marks from the bottles. I then place themin the oven and then set it to 120C. I let them sit there for 10 mins at that temperature then switch it off and let them cool in the oven (first set I pulled out smashed once they hit the cool air). I also have the little bottler in boiling water for a few minutes before I start to bottle.

This takes along time too do and I am sure some of it is unnecessary.

I have slighty changed my sanitation proceedure ever since i started using PETS. For about 4 years i had a collection of glass bottles longnecks etc, i just found the hassle and time cleaning them.

For the PETs i fill the laundry sink with cold water, prepare a solution of Sodium Percaronate (Coopers Sanitiser) and leave say 6 PETS to soak at a time rinse well let dry. Repeat till all done.

At the moment this is working im wondering when the PETS get a bit older will it be any different.

I went through an oven phase with my bottles Matty - you need to cook them a fair bit hotter for a lot longer to sterilize them (but first you need to get them up to temp slowly so they don't crack and then you need to let them cool naturally with the door of the oven closed once done. I haven't done it for a while and forget the laboratory standard. I used to put a bit of foil over the top before cooking so that they would stay sterile until I needed them. It all became a bit hard in the end.

These days I just rinse a bottle after drinking. I leave the glass ones upside down in a milk crate to dry and just replace the lid on my PETs. When I need them i give them a blast with iodopohr and leave them to drain until I fill them (usually about 30 mins later once I've prepared my "bottling station". Works a treat [biggrin]

For my fermentor I give it a blast with the hose and remove as much crap as possible. I then add a lid of Coles brand sensitive skin nappy wash (the sensitive hasn't got the perfumes - I've tried other brands and this is the best) and fill it with water. I then leave it overnight or until I remember about it. By this time the nappy wash has done it's job and no scrubbing is need. I then drain, rinse, dry and put the lid on it (The only time I use the lid is in storage [biggrin]).

Muddy, does the Coles brand sensitive nappy stuff include detergent?

I bought the home brand stuff with active ingredient sodium percarbonate, but when I chucked it in the fermenter it frothed like crazy so clearly has detergent in it, which is the last thing I want to put near my bottles.

I stopped using the lid and airlock long ago as they were more trouyble than they are worth. I just cover the top of the fermentor with a piece of glad wrap held on by the o-ring from the lid.

This way you can move your fermentor or take samples without worrying about sucking in liquid from the airlock. You can also see what is happening inside more clearly through the glad wrap. The co2 will find a way to escape by itself or you can put a pin prick in the glad wrap to help it out. Glad wrap also never gets stuck on like I remember lids sometimes did.

Sometimes you can open the lid to add hops etc into the brew. But if your not doing anything like that, I wouldnt bother open it up.

Using Glad Wrap also makes it easier for the volcanic brews (toucan stout) where when the Glad Wrap becomes dirty from the foam you can just toss it away and put another bit over it.

I use a splash of bleach and top it up with cold water (chlorine can attack s/steel but I'm yet to see any evidence of this in my kegs).

Push the centre of the beer out post to allow the fluid to run into the straw then leave to soak for about an hour or so.

Drain it and leave upside down until ready to fill with a brew.

Pour a kettle full of boiling water in, close it up, shake it then run the water out through the beer out line - shaking releases sufficient gas out of the boiled water to push it through the line, use gloves as the metal can get hot.

----------

When cleaning the keg, I just use a jet of cold water. I struggle to fit my arm into the keg so any soiling that can't be removed by the jet of water gets a dose of sodium percabonate and warm water - the oxy bleaching action scrubs the walls clean. [biggrin]

I clean my fermenters by washing out with cold water and wiping off scum with a cloth. Then I put about a desert spoon of chlorine in and fill it right to the to top with cold water, put the lid on and the water will squirt up through the airlock hole. I leave it for a couple of hours, wash it out well with cold water, then a jug of boiling water put the lid on and shake it every which way, comes up sanitised and no chlorine smell.

Warren

Archived