Coopers Community

Non alcahol beer

David be

2 hours ago, David be said:

Can u brew non alcohol beer from coopers home brew

From Coopers:  No, you can't make non-alcoholic beer with Coopers brewing extracts. However a low alcohol beer, approximately 2.5% ABV, can be made using a 1.7kg extract mixed to 23 litres with no additional sugars. Carbonation Drops (or priming sugar) are still used for secondary fermentation in the bottles.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, both answers are correct. You need the beer to ferment, so there will be alcohol. But as @ozdevilpointed out, you can then boil the finished beer to remove the alcohol. However you will have to keg this as bottle fermentation is 1st no longer possible because the yeast is dead and 2nd, if you pitch more yeast to gas it up in the bottle, you will introduce alcohol, albeit only a small amount.

BTW the 'boiling' point of alcohol is about 79°C - don't go boiling the brew to waster boil temps. I'd use a sous vide stick - beer in pot, stick clamped to side set at 80°, 30 mins timer. (at least - you could get lower ABV by leaving it longer but I think it's diminishing returns - i.e. 30 mins gets you to maybe 0.5%, 60 mins maybe 0.4%.

You may need to look at something like a soda stream set up to carbonate if you don't have a keg system because the heating also evicts some of the CO2 in the beer.