Coopers Community

Brew extract kits - increasing ABV

Hello

I'm new to home brewing and still yet to venture from brew batches using the extract kits.

Ive enjoyed the Coopers IPA A kit from a previous batch. This recipe called for 3x 500g light dry malt to make 23L

If I wanted to increase the ABV do I double the entire recipe i.e 2x cans plus 6x 500g light dry malt packets or just double the cans only?

Thanks for your suggestions and help in advance

Olly 

24 minutes ago, oliver.briones said:

If I wanted to increase the ABV do I double the entire recipe i

The best way to increase the ABV only, is to add extra fermentables.  You could add around 200grams of dextrose to try.  Dextrose is fully fermentable and will increase the ABV.

Another way is to add sachet of Dry Enzyme this will further break down the sugars allowing more alcohol to be produced and give you a more drier beer.

Doubling every thing may help but I wouldn't do it as you may not be happy with the final flavours as they could be very strong.

th?id=OIP.RopYLm50U3sti9TTcsslCwHaHt&w=163&h=170&rs=1&qlt=80&o=6&pid=3.1

Edited by Pickles Jones
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, oliver.briones said:

If I wanted to increase the ABV do I double the entire recipe i.e 2x cans plus 6x 500g light dry malt packets or just double the cans only?

Double everything would be pretty much undrinkable - IBU would be over 100 and ABV would be about 11.5% in bottles. You would need special yeast as well to handle that level of fermentables. 😄 

Doubling only the LDME would be OK for bitterness and ABV would be around 8.8% in bottles. I think the bigger issue with that amount of LDME (3kg) would be dilution of flavour - it would make a very malty (sweet) beer. Dextrose, sugar, (raw and brown sugar give a bit of extra flavour that appeals to some people) and/or the enzyme will do the trick. 

I use the enzyme in all my beers - for me it removes the atomic farts results I was experiencing. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unlike some of the others I don't think it is that bad an idea. What you would essentially have is an imperial IPA. I'm a big believer in the IBU matching the ABV for IPA's so a 11% and 110 IBU ain't a bad combo. You would need to do a few things to it from my thinking though. A short boil of hops for more flavour and a big dry hop too. As the others have said you would need more yeast so making a starter the day before in a 2L coke bottle with one pack of the yeast and 200gm of the dry malt and then pitching the contents of the bottle with the other packet of yeast would get the job done. Purportedly the yeast in that kit is BRY97 which does up to 13% ABV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1