Coopers Community

BREWING FRIDGES

Hey Brewers,

I have just been given another fridge, 8 year old Fisher & Paykel about the size of a smallish kitchen fridge- this one W 540mm x D 530mm x H 1600mm.

It is in extremely good nick & my neighbor knows I am a brewer & has drank my brews, he just bought a new fridge & was going to put it out on the footpath.

The Coopers FV only just fits with all of the door shelves removed but the Ampi 30l FV's fit like a treat.

I have my old faithful fridge but it was bought in 1990 & not a flat back but still works.   I was wondering whether this would be an opportunity to investigate conversion to a tap fridge as it is heaps newer than the old Kelvinator.  One of my bludging mates wants it but I would been more inclined to offer it to one the South Aussies brewers who may be in need of a working brew fridge.

Cheers

Phil

5 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey Brewers,

I have just been given another fridge, 8 year old Fisher & Paykel about the size of a smallish kitchen fridge- this one W 540mm x D 530mm x H 1600mm.

It is in extremely good nick & my neighbor knows I am a brewer & has drank my brews, he just bought a new fridge & was going to put it out on the footpath.

The Coopers FV only just fits with all of the door shelves removed but the Ampi 30l FV's fit like a treat.

I have my old faithful fridge but it was bought in 1990 & not a flat back but still works.   I was wondering whether this would be an opportunity to investigate conversion to a tap fridge as it is heaps newer than the old Kelvinator.  One of my bludging mates wants it but I would been more inclined to offer it to one the South Aussies brewers who may be in need of a working brew fridge.

Cheers

Phil

why dont you keep both mate

turn on to outdoor kegerater if it can cold enough while the other is  a ferment fridge

it sounds like you are getting looked after in SA Classic

i'm thinking of getting a new fridge so i have a ferment fridge

12 hours ago, ozdevil said:

why dont you keep both mate

turn on to outdoor kegerater if it can cold enough while the other is  a ferment fridge

it sounds like you are getting looked after in SA Classic

i'm thinking of getting a new fridge so i have a ferment fridge

I have already got the old fridge housed in a purpose built structure with a door, this is in the front courtyard under the verandah near the front door. There is no room or not practical to have two fridges outside, the new one is smaller, I may have to try & fit it inside or simply get rid of the big one & put this one in it's place. I think the newer would be a better option to convert to a kegerator albeit smaller.

643279056_20210124_132329(2).thumb.jpg.07af6cf5378e7a4b7cf017eb6d02931f.jpg61916590_20210123_163029(2).thumb.jpg.fa7b6424bfd0e8c8dee816eca5d5a63f.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

I have already got the old fridge housed in a purpose built structure with a door, this is in the front courtyard under the verandah near the front door. There is no room or not practical to have two fridges outside, the new one is smaller, I may have to try & fit it inside or simply get rid of the big one & put this one in it's place. I think the newer would be a better option to convert to a kegerator albeit smaller.

I'd convert the old one to keg fridge.

1. It's an upside down meaning all the keg moving is going to be standing up, not bending down. 

2. The taps will be at a comfortable level for use - I reckon it would be an ongoing pissoff to have them down around 1m off the ground and having to stoop to pour.

3. the fridge will be a set and forget so less stress on the motor - as an FV fridge it is constantly being changed.

I'm presuming here your new one has a freezer? Because my all-fridge is only 1.5m tall and I have plenty of room for 2 x Coopers FV's vertically.

21 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I'd convert the old one to keg fridge.

1. It's an upside down meaning all the keg moving is going to be standing up, not bending down. 

2. The taps will be at a comfortable level for use - I reckon it would be an ongoing pissoff to have them down around 1m off the ground and having to stoop to pour.

3. the fridge will be a set and forget so less stress on the motor - as an FV fridge it is constantly being changed.

I'm presuming here your new one has a freezer? Because my all-fridge is only 1.5m tall and I have plenty of room for 2 x Coopers FV's vertically.

I understand what you are saying, I was just worried about the age of the fridge, if I was to spend money for taps etc & it decided to 💩 itself.

The new one is similar to the photo with freezer on top. 

766532482_PHOTOSFROMGALAXYNOTE8315.thumb.jpg.324eb10bb92f44320c866631b6ed6aa6 (2).jpg

6 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I understand what you are saying, I was just worried about the age of the fridge, if I was to spend money for taps etc & it decided to 💩 itself.

The new one is similar to the photo with freezer on top. 

Well, taps can always be moved across. 

Mind you I have seen a 2-door like your new fridge where the taps were in the freezer door - not sure how it worked inside or if you'd need a fridgey to set it up though. You'd want to be pretty careful drilling through the bottom of the freezer to ensure you didn't breach the coolant lines - plus I'm not sure how temp control would work unless the freezer was on a separate control. 

1 minute ago, Journeyman said:

Well, taps can always be moved across. 

Mind you I have seen a 2-door like your new fridge where the taps were in the freezer door - not sure how it worked inside or if you'd need a fridgey to set it up though. You'd want to be pretty careful drilling through the bottom of the freezer to ensure you didn't breach the coolant lines - plus I'm not sure how temp control would work unless the freezer was on a separate control. 

Well if you are still coming down one day for trading I will buy you a beer to have a look 😀 🍻 Cheers.

• Like 1