Coopers Community

IPA recipe review please

Greetings fellow brewers

What u think of this?

1.7 IPA tin

1kg DME 

300g dex ( want to use up my remaining stock, next beer scrap the dex up the DME ? @ChristinaS1)

11g verdant IPA yeast

50g dry hop with southern passion 

To 21L 

Any suggestions welcome!

🍻

Edited by PintsAtMeLocal
  • Like 2

Hi @PintsAtMeLocal

Looks good.

I would buy a bag of wheat DME and use 300g of that instead of 300g of dextrose (or use both).

Do you bulk prime? You could always save the dextrose for priming your bottles, use it up that way.

What is the temperature out your way? Can you keep the temp 18-20C?

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Any suggestions welcome!

Just brew it.  Looks good.  I think you will like the Verdant IPA yeast.  I did a starter with it on the weekend.  With only the yeast in it, a day later you can smell the apricot.  Who needs hops?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Hi @PintsAtMeLocal

Looks good.

I would buy a bag of wheat DME and use 300g of that instead of 300g of dextrose (or use both).

Do you bulk prime? You could always save the dextrose for priming your bottles, use it up that way.

What is the temperature out your way? Can you keep the temp 18-20C?

Cheers,

Christina.

Awesome! I don't bulk prime but I can certainly start. Thanks.  Wheat DME next time 👍. Temperature Is cold I do wrap a blanket around my FV amd it stays around 16-18C

24 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Just brew it.  Looks good.  I think you will like the Verdant IPA yeast.  I did a starter with it on the weekend.  With only the yeast in it, a day later you can smell the apricot.  Who needs hops?

Haha can't wait mate! Can I just pitch it directly as is from the packet? First time using something other that coopers kit yeast

Edited by PintsAtMeLocal

I Just asked for a recipe in another thread, disregard, Hahah.

Yeah I agree with the addition of wheat dry malt extract but I like to use 150g - 250g of dextrose in kits because I can find them a little sweet and thick but that is a personal taste.

Using small amounts of dextrose isn't a concern, stouts, IPAs and other beers that generally have nice head and retention use dextrose in their recipes the main thing is the other ingredients as everything works together not singularly. Your above recipe looks good and will benefit from your yeast choice. When are you going to dry hop? At high krausen, day 3ish to get some biotransformation or when fermentation is done?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I Just asked for a recipe in another thread, disregard, Hahah.

Yeah I agree with the addition of wheat dry malt extract but I like to use 150g - 250g of dextrose in kits because I can find them a little sweet and thick but that is a personal taste.

Using small amounts of dextrose isn't a concern, stouts, IPAs and other beers that generally have nice head and retention use dextrose in their recipes the main thing is the other ingredients as everything works together not singularly. Your above recipe looks good and will benefit from your yeast choice. When are you going to dry hop? At high krausen, day 3ish to get some biotransformation or when fermentation is done?

Thanks Norris, points noted. Dry hop after fermentation I think. What would the difference be at high krausen

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Thanks Norris, points noted. Dry hop after fermentation I think. What would the difference be at high krausen

The hops will not present the same way, for better or for worse. At high krausen the yeast will change the aromas and flavours. If you like what southern passion brings just drop them in at the end, but at krausen depending on the alpha acids in the hop it will change them to different alpha acids which brings differences not normally found from the hops. (Probably the worst explanation ever, but that is how I understand it). You might have a hop that doesn't give off any citrus but after biotransformation it will, as an example.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Haha can't wait mate! Can I just pitch it directly as is from the packet? First time using something other that coopers kit yeast

Absolutely, mate.  It will chew through your recipe no worries.  I brewed it at 20°C.  Try to keep it around that temperature if you can.  Good luck with the brew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1