Coopers Community

Malt Shovel XPA

Howdy all.

Been a while since I've been on here.... Starting a new career path along with a few other things has chewed up a bit of my free time but I have still been brewing enough to keep the kegs full 😄

One recipe I have always wanted to give a crack since tasting the beer is a Malt Shovel XPA. I first had one a few years ago and it was brilliant.
image.png.24783be8c9acd2a0e81b7d2c909ea283.png

After a bit of research it seems they are using Pale/Toffee Malt, along with Citra, Galaxy, Amarillo and El Dorado hops - snip taken from their website:
image.png.0d7e755c5f267c374849db0b0e139c43.png

I am doing a KegLand order for some grains etc and am gonna grab a few kg of Toffee malt, however, I have never used this before so have no idea on what sort of amount to add in. I was thinking 200-300g, similar to a Crystal addition but wanted to get some advice if anyone has used it before?

Also, any recommendations with hops and schedules? I cube my wort so generally try to get all of my bitterness from a smaller 60min addition, then cool the wort to 80C and add hop stand additions.

Was going to do my first batch with a simple hop schedule, something like;

10-15g Amarillo @60min
30g each of Amarillo, Citra, El Dorado @ 80C Hopstand
30g of Amarillo, Citra, El Dorado & Galaxy @ Dry Hop.

Also thinking of going with ol' faithful US-05 yeast, but I do have some Nottingham here too.

Would be open to any recommendations and I will be sure to post progress/tasting in this thread as I get to it.

Cheers and good to be back - hopefully I can get on here a bit more often again.
Mitch.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

Also thinking of going with ol' faithful US-05 yeast, but I do have some Nottingham here too.

Would be open to any recommendations and I will be sure to post progress/tasting in this thread as I get to it.

If you can get it, I would suggest Verdant IPA yeast.  I used it in the Bright Idea XPA recipe and the hops just seem to sing fruity songs.

Your amount of Toffee Malt sounds a reasonable amount to start with.  I used 400g of Gladfield Toffee Malt in an Imperial Stout.  I could not say that I noticed it in that brew.  However, you might pick the difference in a side-by-side of one with and one without.  The Gladfield website has a couple of recipes with 300g in it and an ESB with 400g.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 9:08 PM, Hairy said:

This is a great beer. Hopefully you share the recipe if you nail it.

Thanks mate, will keep you all up to date that's for sure. I have a Stout to ferment then will get onto this one next.

On 5/13/2021 at 8:54 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

If you can get it, I would suggest Verdant IPA yeast.  I used it in the Bright Idea XPA recipe and the hops just seem to sing fruity songs.

Your amount of Toffee Malt sounds a reasonable amount to start with.  I used 400g of Gladfield Toffee Malt in an Imperial Stout.  I could not say that I noticed it in that brew.  However, you might pick the difference in a side-by-side of one with and one without.  The Gladfield website has a couple of recipes with 300g in it and an ESB with 400g.

Perfect thanks mate. Might start out with 300g then and see how we go 🙂

Mitch.

• Like 2