Coopers Community

Well I never....

Malter White

I'm fairly open minded and rarely do I take offence to anything. Yesterday was a different matter.
I needed some electrical work done, so I called up an old mate from football days who is a sparky. As we got talking the subject matter soon turned to beer and how I enjoy making my own now.
He was eager to give my beer a try and I happily indulged him but then he said five words to me me that have rocked me to the core since and I'm considering cutting him loose as a friend.
He said, "It tastes like home brew."
Well I never have been so insulted in my entire life. 😞 

4 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I'm fairly open minded and rarely do I take offence to anything. Yesterday was a different matter.
I needed some electrical work done, so I called up an old mate from football days who is a sparky. As we got talking the subject matter soon turned to beer and how I enjoy making my own now.
He was eager to give my beer a try and I happily indulged him but then he said five words to me me that have rocked me to the core since and I'm considering cutting him loose as a friend.
He said, "It tastes like home brew."
Well I never have been so insulted in my entire life. 😞 

im fairly new to this but im starting to suspect that that will be the same response you will get from every person whose tastebuds have been shaped by decades of same same commercially brewed beers yeah, i mean how many people do you know who have one or two standard beers they have been drinking since their teens with no variation at all ? everything outside of that taste range will register as odd to them lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amberfiend said:

im fairly new to this but im starting to suspect that that will be the same response you will get from every person whose tastebuds have been shaped by decades of same same commercially brewed beers yeah, i mean how many people do you know who have one or two standard beers they have been drinking since their teens with no variation at all ? everything outside of that taste range will register as odd to them lol

You are spot on, Amberfiend.
I have a theory on this also. It's what he is accustomed to. Everybody gets accustomed to what they drink. If you asked drinkers from all the different states of Australia the majority of drinkers would be more partial to their local brands ie. Victorians would mainly swear by VB or Carlton Draught and thumb their noses at West End and the South Aussies would do the reverse. Qlders would sing the praises of XXXX and so on.
Well surely not every state can have the best beer. It's merely because people have become accustomed to their local beverage. Just as we connoisseurs of DIY beer that know everything there is to know about beer are accustomed to the finest beers in the world that we craft ourselves. 😄
I know I really enjoy my own beers these days. Do I make great beers? I'm not sure but I'm certainly accustomed to them now and happy to be so.

• Like 2