Coopers Community

Stalled/Stale Brew?

DonPolo

6 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Hopefully having boiling water poured on them was enough to kill the baker's yeast. 

If you use an airlock, please let me know how long it takes before it starts bubbling, as I wonder if it reduces your lag time....I suspect you don't use an airlock. 

No airlock here sorry! 🙂 

11 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Hopefully having boiling water poured on them was enough to kill the baker's yeast. 

If you use an airlock, please let me know how long it takes before it starts bubbling, as I wonder if it reduces your lag time....I suspect you don't use an airlock. 

Also I just had a look at the Fermentis website and saw this in relation to re-hydrating the US05: • Alternatively, sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or boiled and hopped wort at 25 to 29°C (77°F to 84°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes, gently stir and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.

I had seen temperatures of between 30-40C generally suggested for re-hydrating yeast. I think mine would have been around 32C. Clearly I got away with it because there seems to be a reasonable krausen on the brew after only about 15 hours. It's not too vigorous but I understand that US05 isn't all that vigorous anyway.

PS the website also says that US05's fermenting temperature range is 18-28°C. Mine started at 22C and I just saw that it hat risen to around 24C. Perhaps that is heat from fermentation? In any case I've put some cold water in the sink to bring it down a bit.

Edited by DonPolo
  • Like 2

As it happened the fermentation started within the first 24 hours. Only issue now is a persistent Krausen after about 6 days. I've had this issue before with US05 but don't think it is a problem.

I guess I should just wait until it drops. However I did see some posts saying that the fermentation should be finished in a few days and to just bottle from under the krausen.

I'll probably take a couple of SG readings over the next couple of days to see what's happening.