Coopers Community

temperature control

carls

an electronic thermostat controlling your heat pad/belt are great they allow you to just set and forget can found on e bay for bout 30-40 bucks you may need some one with basic electrical knowledge to wire it up i use one controlling a heat belt inside a fridge but no reason why you can't make a basic box try a refrigeration company for some off cuts of coolroom panel

I have a old fridge/freezer that harvey norman were throwing out so i got it for free!! I took compressor and running gear out of it then turned it upside down to use the fridge as the fermenter storage and the freezer is on the bottom and can use that for storage. I bought a digital thermostat and wired it up to 3 lights. 2 lights in the fridge/ fermenter section and 1 light in the freezer section which i have put a switch on the light just the freezer so i can use that light only when i need it. I can change temperature to whatever i want and it works great!! There is enough room in the whole thing to have a brew in the fermenter and have 2 bottled brews in secondary fermentation set at the perfect temperature[biggrin] I will take a couple of pictures and will post on here tomorrow if you are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Today my new BrewMate temp controller arrived

2803517-1.jpg

I got it from mashmaster - have a look at MashMaster - brewMate Temp controller

It was $65 incl shipping and GST and does both heating and cooling.

Great little unit! I will box it up and sort of the wiring from my past life as an electrical engineer and get a few pics up.

I've got an old fridge, and a heat pad to connect up to the brewmate. I'll put the heat pad inside the fridge, wire both up, and sit the Fermenter on top of the heat pad in the fridge.

The unit has a user settable hysteresis - so they hopefully wont be fighting one another to keep my wort just right!

The unit comes with a pretty decent thermocouple, although there is a really flash stainless one on the mashmaster site for only $33! How cheap is that!

I'm hoping a mate who works in the process industry can make one disappear for me this christmas.

Will let you know how it goes.

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

I got a suggestion, for a temp control in winter or colder climates.

Use a tropical fish tank heater, i bought a German made one today, a 50W Ehiem,it cost me $45au, good to heat up to 60ltrs,temp range 18 degree celcius to 34 degree celcius,i set mine on 18, cause at night here it's dam freezing.

Cheers,

Parrot

Do you put the heating element into the wort (ie. in the FV) or do you put the FV in a tub of water and heat the water?

Hey Hairy,

I'm a noob in this area, so i put the heater in the FV, after cleaning of corse. If it is better to heat a container of water around my FV, i will take advice [cool] Which is better please ?

Cheers,

Parrot

No idea mate [unsure]

I don't know much about them. I just avoid sticking things in the wort.

How much heat does it pump out? To heat 23 litres of wort you would think there would be a bit of heat radiating from the element. I would be concerned about killing yeast in the general vicinity of the element.

But I have heard about people using them so perhaps someone else may be able to clarify.

Hiya all,

Thanks for the tips but i have discoved that i don't need the heater after all. I got a few of those insulated bags, that the supermarkets sell for taking home your frozen goods, cut them and made a insulated blanket for my FV, now the temp is sitting stable on 21 degrees celcius, even first thing in the morning when it's around zero here at present [cool]

Cheers

Parrot

thats all well and good mate, but you may find that as activity slows down it doesnt generate a great deal of heat, it's at this point that you actually want the control to raise the temps by a little bit.

Anyway, its all good fun on the curve.

[wink]

Hey, thanks Yob,

Yeah i left the aquarium heater in for this run, set at 18 degree celcius. I will accumulate the quality gear as i go. My neighbour just told me his friend has a fridge set up for home brew for sale, 3 x kegs and 2 x taps on the door, they want $450 for the whole fridge thing with the kegs and all. Does this brew fridge sound like value ? I'm not sure what i should pay for something like this ?

Cheers,

Parrot

Some questions I would be asking are:

Does the fridge have a temperature controller with it?... Probably has but what type?

What sort of taps are they?

How old is the fridge?

Does it come with a gas bottle and if so then how big is it and is it full?

Does it come with a gas regulator?... you will need one to dispense the gas.

I assume there are beer and gas lines and the relative fittings to the kegs.

What sort of kegs are they.... Ball lock or Pin lock?

Archived