Coopers Community

Ever do a panicked buy of ingredients just before the cutoff for weekend delivery?

I do. A lot.

My brain tells me "let's just make something strong for winter", so I dig up my last strong ale recipe, rush through my notes (ie. tasting videos on YouTube), try and think back a year to how it tasted, then change everything and come up with this:

• 75.8% Ale
  • 9.5% Munich
  • 5.3% Caramalt
  • 6.3% Wheat
  • 3.2% Light Chocolate

Should get an OG of 1.065, so I got three packets of Notto yeast to deal with that.

On the day I'll just look through my hops and try and get ~55 IBUs

Hopefully it's not awful! 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Last holiday, Christmas, I did a quick LHBS buy, it was rushed...I ended up with 100g of warrior, that should last 10 brews maybe more, but honestly, I didn't want to spend $X on warrior hops when I could of gotten anything else, I guess it was in my basket from checking prices. Another time I ended up with 200g of Saaz, because I was playing around with prices in the basket and forgot to delete. I don't drink a lot of lagers, another rushed purxhase and wasted dollars.

I hope the wife doesn't log on and read this.

Edited by Norris!
  • Haha 5

On 1/25/2020 at 1:52 PM, Norris! said:

Last holiday, Christmas, I did a quick LHBS buy, it was rushed...I ended up with 100g of warrior, that should last 10 brews maybe more, but honestly, I didn't want to spend $X on warrior hops when I could of gotten anything else, I guess it was in my basket from checking prices. Another time I ended up with 200g of Saaz, because I was playing around with prices in the basket and forgot to delete. I don't drink a lot of lagers, another rushed purxhase and wasted dollars.

I hope the wife doesn't log on and read this.

LOL - My most recent purchase wasn't 'rushed' but I wound up with 4 x pkts of cider yeast - back before the missus discovered she likes my home brew (she's hated with a passion every commercial beer she tried) I'd been pricing cider ingredients and clearly had not removed the yeasts from my basket. 

Happy ending - I'd paid with AfterPay so a refund was more hassle than it was worth but a quick email as soon as I saw the cider yeasts on my purchase email got them to change it for more Nott.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1