Coopers Community

Brewers! First off, I wish to wish everyone a merry and safe Christmas! 

So, I want to know the best way about about doubling/tripling a craft kit recipe for the standard 30l fermenter! Would it be as simple as using a larger tin and tripling the rest of ingredients? 

For instance I’ve done a few of the craft recipes and they are amazing and I want to do more volume! Ie jitter juice and lime milkshake ipa 

Any help would be gladly appreciated! 

3 hours ago, Mitchcraft said:

Brewers! First off, I wish to wish everyone a merry and safe Christmas! 

So, I want to know the best way about about doubling/tripling a craft kit recipe for the standard 30l fermenter! Would it be as simple as using a larger tin and tripling the rest of ingredients? 

For instance I’ve done a few of the craft recipes and they are amazing and I want to do more volume! Ie jitter juice and lime milkshake ipa 

Any help would be gladly appreciated! 

Yep, Mitch.  It is that simple.  Be aware that triple the typical Craft recipe of 8.5L is 25.5L which is pretty much the limit for the large Coopers fermenter.

Cheers and welcome to the forum.

Yep as with all recipies whether, drink or food, just keeping everything in the same proportion is all that is needed. As long as you muliply all ingedients by the same factor all is good so you can double or triple no worries  ...  not sure how good you maths is but if you want to make a specific amount say 19 litres.  just divide all the ingredients in the craft brew kit by the volume of the original brew then multiply by the new volume required.... so if the brew was 8.5 litres and used 500g of dry malt. The amount used in a 19L brew would be 500g/ 8.5 x 19  which is  approx 1100g or 1.1kg  and so on for all ingredients . 

Gee I hope I haven't confused you. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263

As Marty says keep it all in proportion.

I have made a Brew Scaler that you can download below.  It contains an individual Ingredient Scaler and a Recipe Scaler,

With the ingredient scaler you enter the original recipe volume (eg.10 litres) and the desired volume (eg.20 litres).  Then you enter the weight of the original ingredient (eg; 1.3kg) and the calculator figures the weight of the ingredient required for the desired volume  (eg : 2.6kg )  

The Recipe Scaler does similar but for every ingredient required for a recipe.   This an example using the Spirit of Anzac Ale  (note, the ingredient quantity is in grams) adjusting a 23 litre recipe back to a 8.5 litre recipe

recipescaler.jpg

Note :  The quantity of carbonation drops in the above example is wrong as Coopers is specifying the weight of a packet of drops rather than the actual 60 drops required for  a 23 litre/ 30 bottle brew.  Carbonation drops weigh 3g each so for a 23 litre brew  (60 drops) 180g are required  and 66g (22 drops) are required for a 8.5 litre brew. 

In this case I was down scaling the Spirit of ANZAC Ale from 23 litres to 8.5 litres.  I entered the ingredients as per the recipe on the Coopers site and the calculator modified the quantities to suit the smaller brew volume the calculator up scales as well.  

You need to manually enter the ingredients and original quantities and the calculator figures the proportional quantity for the desired brew volume.  

The Brew Scaler was originally part of the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet 1.4  

See below for the Brew Scaler.xls download.

Brew Scaler.xls