Coopers Community

Prescription pils Aussie style

Hi all,

First time posting. I've just made the prescription pils which is my first ever temp controlled brew. I'm wanting to know what I'd need to change in the recipe to make it an Aussie lager like Carlton draught? I'm assuming the hops amount and boil time would change and maybe yeast type. I can only make small batch due to only having bar fridge to ferment in. Any advice would be welcome 

Thanks.

Edited by Dazguy4207

I can't help with the recipe side but I have a shorter, wider 30l FV that would fit most bar fridges - ~34 x 44 cm & a taller slimmer one, ~53 x 30.

Unless by 'small batch' you MEAN 23l. 😄

Mind you, I'm unsure why anyone would want to turn beer into Carlton Draught... and I'm an ex-Victorian. 😄

Edited by Journeyman

thanks for the recipe lab rat. my little temp controlled fridge only fits the coopers craft beer fermenter so looking at something that will fit it until i get my hands on a larger fridge unless there is a larger fermenter that is low height box style that will fill the space.

17 minutes ago, Dazguy4207 said:

Would be interested to know where you got the short fermenter as it would save me buying a larger fridge.

I'm not sure. I got it as part of a bundle of stuff from a gumtree seller. They are in Mt Braker in SA so it would be either from ebay or somewhere local, maybe Adelaide. I just went browsing the few I know of and for some reason they don't bother putting FV sizes in their listings.

Sorry... But at least you know they are available. 😄 And it's definitely an FV - has the volume markings on the side.

3 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I'm not sure. I got it as part of a bundle of stuff from a gumtree seller. They are in Mt Braker in SA so it would be either from ebay or somewhere local, maybe Adelaide. I just went browsing the few I know of and for some reason they don't bother putting FV sizes in their listings.

Sorry... But at least you know they are available. 😄 And it's definitely an FV - has the volume markings on the side.

Sweet! the hunt begins thanks again

11 minutes ago, Dazguy4207 said:

Sweet! the hunt begins thanks again

If it helps, this might assist in photos for proportions - the lid is about 2 cm less than the taller FV version. (not a Coopers one but on other sites) Combined with extra width the FV shuld be noticeably different in appearance in pics. Standard Coopers PET bottle for comparison.

Stubby FV.jpg

27 minutes ago, Dazguy4207 said:

might head down to my LHBS and ask there for ideas. my lager fermenter would just fit if there wasn't a freezer compartment.

How difficult would it be to remove the freezer section? Som of the bar fridges I have seen didn't seem to have their own coils through the freezer, it was just a compartment shut off from the rest.

36 minutes ago, thebeerpig said:

Bunnings sell a $20 water drum fitting those dimensions that can be used if you can't track down a name brand fermenter.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/adventure-products-25l-blue-tint-wide-mouth-water-storage-drum-with-bung_p3240533

https://www.bunnings.com.au/icon-plastics-20mm-drum-tap_p3241518

Thanks I'll look into that. I just measured the space it's roughly 40cm square

17 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

How difficult would it be to remove the freezer section? Som of the bar fridges I have seen didn't seem to have their own coils through the freezer, it was just a compartment shut off from the rest.

There is a coil built into the shelf. I've heard you can bend them but if it cracks it stuffs the fridge

13 hours ago, Dazguy4207 said:

Hi all,

First time posting. I've just made the prescription pils which is my first ever temp controlled brew. I'm wanting to know what I'd need to change in the recipe to make it an Aussie lager like Carlton draught? I'm assuming the hops amount and boil time would change and maybe yeast type. I can only make small batch due to only having bar fridge to ferment in. Any advice would be welcome 

Thanks.

Sub one of the extract tins for 200g of plain white sugar. Sub the hops for 25gm of Pride of Ringwood hops. Keep everything else the same. That will get you somewhat close.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Sub one of the extract tins for 200g of plain white sugar. Sub the hops for 25gm of Pride of Ringwood hops. Keep everything else the same. That will get you somewhat close.

Cheers for that I'll give it a go. Thanks

19 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Hi Greeny,

Would i sub the malt that gets boiled with the hops for sugar? or just add it with the rest of the malt and boil malt with the hops? is the POR hops less as it's more intense bitterness?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Id use a malt tin and also the sugar in about 4L of water. Yeah the POR will give you more IBU than the hallertau hence less hops.

Would i only do some of the malt in the boil? have read boiling the malt will darken the beer. So like in pils recipe 250g malt and the white sugar in the boil with the hops? still only 30min boil. sorry if asking too many questions.

8 hours ago, Dazguy4207 said:

Would i only do some of the malt in the boil? have read boiling the malt will darken the beer. So like in pils recipe 250g malt and the white sugar in the boil with the hops? still only 30min boil. sorry if asking too many questions.

Yeah only use one of the malt packs and the sugar as per the recipe. Stick with the 30 minute boil as per the recipe. 

• Thanks 1