Coopers Community

Primping a Ginger Ale.

Olemate

Planning to put a Morgans Ginger beer down for Xmas. I'd like to zing it up a little by adding a bottle of Buderims Ginger Cordial and one small chilli.

My question is how/when to add them and is there any chance of infection by adding them?

Given that the base ginger beer will be about 3% ABV, suggestions on the effect of adding the cordial? Will the supplied yeast be sufficient?

Any assistance appreciated.

Mark

I would be interested in how this turns out. I am currently drinking a Morgans Ginger beer and definitely needs something to give it a little bit more zing. I kegged and bottled and the taste in the bottle after 4 weeks i found to be better. 

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:58 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

How big is the bottle of cordial? Given it'd be primarily made up of sugar I'd suggest it be added at the start with the rest of the ingredients. Wouldn't have any idea about chilli though, I keep that well away from any beers I make 😂

Got an IPA with chili from my former boss. The aftertaste was horrible with a scratchy feeling in the throat that I have'nt experienced since my teeage pukeathons.

• Like 1

That Ginger Cordial has a preservative in it. Off the top of my head I can't remember if that's one of the ones that affect fermentation.

https://www.buderimginger.com/ginger-refresher-750ml/

Preservative (211) is the one. I have read you can simmer the cordial for 20 minutes or so to eliminate the preservatives.
I've done this with Cottee's Lemon cordial that I put in a cider. It worked fine. However I've read of other people trying it with Ribena and it not fermenting.

As for chilli's. I have a wine that someone gave me with Chilli in. It's been sat on the wine rack for at least five years.....