Coopers Community

Inkbird

5 minutes ago, Southern Man said:

When setting up my Inkbird in my fridge to ferment at say 18c what do I set the fridges temp control to? Should it be set to coldest setting so that the Inkbird will do all the controlling?

Yep, exactly :).

Mitch.

This is really only going to be an issue when you want to cold crash.   

I discovered with my fridge that it was actually incapable of getting down below around 6ºC.  Even though my Inkbird was set to 1ºC the fridge itself, due to a dodgy thermostat cut out at 6º.    I ended up bypassing the fridges thermostat so the fridge itself is now set permanently on.   Ordinarily, if the fridge thermostat is in good working order though then when it's set to minimum it should be able to get down to 0ºC.

14 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Yes to all of the above and if you haven't already done so set the variance of the InkBird at around 0.2 which i think is the lowest.

Actually, 0.3ºC   😉

13 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Just make sure the temp probe is insulated to the side of the FV before setting it that low...

WELL insulated in fact.   I've been tracking my recent brews against a 2nd digital thermometer that's measuring the wort temperature directly.   As mentioned elsewhere I've calibrated the inkbird after a period of stability so that it's displayed temperature matches that of the wort but its clear that the inkbird sensor, even with some reasonable insulation is still being influenced too much by the the fridge temperature itself which, as you say, results in a too frequent cooling/heating cycle.   The wort, having a high thermal mass is inherently slow to change temperature so just needs a gentle nudge now and then to keep it within the set temperature range.  

I haven't measured my wort directly but I do find that the temperature changes very slowly anyway. The probe is insulated underneath packing foam that's about 7 or 8mm thick, and firmly taped down. 

The fridge turns on and off less frequently than it does if it's being used as a normal fridge. 

• Like 2