Coopers Community

"two canners"

Aussiekraut

Browsing the net, I've come across a fair few posts from people using 2 cans of kit for a brew, the 2nd can replacing any additional dextrose or malt. It sounds like it might make a nicely bodied brew with a slightly higher alcohol level but doesn't the double whammy of fully hopped malt also drive bitterness up a fair bit? I mean we're talking twice the amount of hops for the same amount of brew. I don't mind hoppy beer and bitterness but if I still taste bitterness 30 minutes after I finished the beer, then it is a little too much.

To take this a little further, how about using a 1.7kg can of kit in a small 8.5l Mr. Beer fermenter instead of the 1.3kg cans designed for it? Is that suitable? I like the smaller batches because I can experiment without ruining 3 cartons of beer when things go wrong. Considering the 1.3kg cans only seem to be available online, using 1.7kg cans is logistically easier as well.

I'm learning, so please excuse me if I ask silly questions.

Toucans can work just fine,  I did a few imperial stouts that came out just fine. 

You're correct that the bitterness will be much higher than normal but will also be darker and sweeter due to the unfermentable sugars in the kits .

I can't remember the IBU numbers from the kits but a say 30 ibu can made to 8.5 L alone will have be 81 ibu which may be balanced out by the extra sweetness but I suspect it wouldn't be great. 

There are un-hopped extract cans available so if you have a decent sized stockpot you could think about doing a full volume extract boil and bittering to suit .

1 hour ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Toucans can work just fine,  I did a few imperial stouts that came out just fine. 

You're correct that the bitterness will be much higher than normal but will also be darker and sweeter due to the unfermentable sugars in the kits .

I can't remember the IBU numbers from the kits but a say 30 ibu can made to 8.5 L alone will have be 81 ibu which may be balanced out by the extra sweetness but I suspect it wouldn't be great. 

There are un-hopped extract cans available so if you have a decent sized stockpot you could think about doing a full volume extract boil and bittering to suit .

Thanks mate.

I use the smaller batches to experiment with added malts and hops and play it safe with full batches. If I use the krausen collar in the small fermenter, I can easily increase the volume to 11 litres effectively making a "half" batch. In this case, using one 1.7kg can should give me the same result as a two can batch or am I missing something? 

I just want to see what happens as the best way of learning is doing. If I bugger it up, I know what not to do next time 🙂 

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

To take this a little further, how about using a 1.7kg can of kit in a small 8.5l Mr. Beer fermenter instead of the 1.3kg cans designed for it? 

I've done this heaps of times and made pale ales, IPAs, stouts, Amber ales, brown ales, saisons... All very tasty. 

Toucans can be quite tasty especially if you enjoying a stronger ABV beer. Iv done multiple two and three can brews which have all turned out well. Yet to have a overly bitter one, if anything iv found them to have a bit of sweetness to them but iv mostly just used the cerveza kit for most mine. Currently got a small batch 10L brew using a cerveza can which I'm adding mango to tomorrow will bottle on Thursday then they will sit for quite awhile. Hoping the mango flavor doesn't disappear from sitting on the shelf for awhile. 

24 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Toucans can be quite tasty especially if you enjoying a stronger ABV beer. Iv done multiple two and three can brews which have all turned out well. Yet to have a overly bitter one, if anything iv found them to have a bit of sweetness to them but iv mostly just used the cerveza kit for most mine. Currently got a small batch 10L brew using a cerveza can which I'm adding mango to tomorrow will bottle on Thursday then they will sit for quite awhile. Hoping the mango flavor doesn't disappear from sitting on the shelf for awhile. 

That sounds quite interesting. I agree about the mango though. It does have the tendency to fade away and in the end doesn't leave much in terms of flavour. Let me know how this goes.

Have you done the cerveza just plain as is in a small batch? I'm tempted. 

Black Rock do a crafted series some of which actually require two cans for a full 23 litre batch (e.g. their Crafted IPA).  So, one can from these two-can kits would be good for 11.5 litres, and a I guess a somewhat stronger version if made up to just 8.5 litres. 

On 2/9/2019 at 5:06 PM, Aussiekraut said:

Have you done the cerveza just plain as is in a small batch? I'm tempted. 

hey mate i've done that, only extra addition was some dry citra hops but they faded pretty quickly. comes out fine, if anything a little sweet.

Archived