Coopers Community

Mutated Yeast

I reuse all my yeasts. Usually by doing what kelsey does and overmake the starter. Have three yeasts well into the teens of reuse and one of them being Chinay 1214 has seemingly mutated. I have a batch which has taken longer than usual. Usually 10 days or so. Its now 16 and is now done. Went from 1076 down to 1006. The last 3 or 4 times i have used it it seems to be getting sweeter and sweeter. The last use was the best belgian dark strong i have done but i think this one has gone too far for sweetness.

For all those who reuse yeast what have you got when you got a mutation? What tastea have you got? Sweetness or something else?

I got a pale ale that tasted like a bad wheat beer with US-05 that'd been reused about 8 or 9 times. Horrible esters, at least to my palate. Or maybe it was phenols, whatever it was it tasted like garbage. Nothing like what was intended. It improved slightly over the time it was on tap but I was glad when it ran out.

I find the liquid strains seem to tolerate more reuse, often I take them into the teens without issue as well. 

Mutation may not be the issue,  method could be though 

Not a shot at you since I've had cultures go strange on me as well through either contamination or poor practices .

If a culture of mine changes behaviour in any way I think about killing it. 

It could be changes in flavour ( esters,  phenols ect)  

Changes in attenuation or flocculation could be due to harvesting practices 

Simple fact is we as homebrewers won't have lab grade equipment or a truly sterile work space .

I try to sidestep the problem by making slants off early generations as a kind of restore point,  they're a pita to step up to pitchable cell counts but it can be done .

My current obsession with Kveik had driven my shortcomings home since the test batch using my dried culture has already failed,  lucky I have 2nd generation slants to go back and try again 

No offence taken Pirate. My method is pretty low tech. I store them in plastic test tubes in the fridge. The beer doesnt taste bad or anything. The usual chimay flavour is still there just the sweetness has been elevated and overpowering. Not what you would expect from a beer that finished at 1006. It tastes like it finished at 1016.

I’m about to cancel my WLP001 after 7 batches. And keep the 1056 which is still going strong at 7 batches. 

I may split it this RnR so I can do two batches the same week with my favourite yeast.

i originally got both types to see how they would go sort of side by side. Unfortunately I think I buggered the 001 up somewhere and while it tasted ok in the last batch massive Krausen have led me to believe something is different with that yeast

17 hours ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Mutation may not be the issue,  method could be though 

Not a shot at you since I've had cultures go strange on me as well through either contamination or poor practices .

If a culture of mine changes behaviour in any way I think about killing it. 

It could be changes in flavour ( esters,  phenols ect)  

Changes in attenuation or flocculation could be due to harvesting practices 

Simple fact is we as homebrewers won't have lab grade equipment or a truly sterile work space .

I try to sidestep the problem by making slants off early generations as a kind of restore point,  they're a pita to step up to pitchable cell counts but it can be done .

My current obsession with Kveik had driven my shortcomings home since the test batch using my dried culture has already failed,  lucky I have 2nd generation slants to go back and try again 

Where did you learn to do slants Mark? Id be interested to learn. There are a couple of strains which have become seasonal releases which id like to keep for all year round. 

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Where did you learn to do slants Mark? Id be interested to learn. There are a couple of strains which have become seasonal releases which id like to keep for all year round. 

Hey Greeny, 

without doing slants I’ve been able to keep mine going that don’t get used that often by just chucking them in a half starter again and decantering off 500ml, then tipping the rest, fresh batch in the fridge. Using the harvesting from yeast starters method. 

Basically instead of doing a 2l starter and using 1.5l to ferment, I do a 1l batch, decant 500ml for the fridge and poor out the rest down the sink. 

Not exactly a great method but it keeps it fresh.

2 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I used same method as OVB re overbuilt starters and save portion in reagent bottles or centrifuge/ lab vials .

That alone is safe enough for storage for 3-6 months in the fridge. 

If you want to store longer you can refresh them every 6 months 

Archived